Life After College

Life After College

post-college-life-e1366928882557

After some time to self-reflect, I realize that I am in the same boat as you guys. The memories of being nervous and anxious about finding a school are slowly coming back to me. As a current junior, I now have to study and prepare for further admittance exams for graduate education after I get my bachelors degree.  Indeed, the whole idea of graduating 4 years from a school that you finally got to love and enjoy being at, must come to a close; it’s time to move on.

Life after graduation may vary. Some people will choose to get more education (master’s, post-doctorate…), there will be some people who landed themselves a nice job immediately, and there will be some that will choose to take a little break (go on vacation, start a family, relax….). Nevertheless there is a sense of independence, life after college. Independence is part of adulthood and unfortunately, time only moves forward and you will (FOR SURE) become an adult, whether you like it or not.

colenojobaftercollege

Personally, this idea of adulthood is creeping behind my back. Working in the Undergraduate Admissions Office has allowed me to see and meet with a ton of high school students. I still feel young being around them; sometimes I think I’m still a freshman because I always bring up college excitement and freshman memories! Now, I think I need to prepare for the future and try to be more mature and responsible for whatever happens in my life. The bachelors degree that I will receive must have meaning and must be put into use one way or another.

I aim to attend further school after gradation. Though it means that I will have another 4 years of education (and the challenges and struggles that come with it), there is a bigger goal that I hope will be rewarding and long-awaited. With that being said, graduate admissions is something I have to look into closely.

Through advice…

855f02a4744eb549a0c3c84a4a7db95e

I recommend  that you physically come to a campus and take a tour. You’ll never know what it feels like until you have walked on the pavement, see the students, and feel everything around you. I have to start doing this too (most likely during Spring break).

Get an idea what kind of classes you will be taking and what the class structure is like. The more you get accustomed to the classes, the more likely (I think) you will be more comfortable and do well in those classes.

Meet YOUR admissions counselor. Email, in-person, anything…. EVEN ONCE. Needless to say, they are the ones who will determine whether or not you are admitted in the school. It’s best if you make it personally known that you have a desire to attend school.

Besides academics, there’s the whole mental/physical business…For me, doing these things (just mentioned) gives me confidence, which I really need. I am a person who wants clarity, orderliness, and preparedness. In addition, it is best to treat yourself well by eating well, getting enough sleep, training your brain consistently to be in the “education mode,” and leave time for enjoyment around others.

I believe these four things will really help you when you are in the school admittance process. Like I said before, I am going through a similar scenario like you guys, so I am still learning!

P.S. Please wish me good luck as I take my midterms this week!

Something funny to share since we are on the topic of graduation and further education:

graduationcartoon