A Letter to Cubs Fans– From a Sox Fan

A Letter to Cubs Fans– From a Sox Fan

After a rain delay, blowing a 3-1 lead, and 10 long innings, The Cubs made their lifelong fans proud to “fly the W” for one last time for the baseball season. This past week, Chicago made history in a couple different ways. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series for the first time in 108 years, and the sea of fans supporting the team for the parade through Chicago was ranked as the 7th largest gathering of people in human history. A sea of fans dawned in blue, white, and red, and a river dyed blue, Chicago was in an uproar of joy knowing that all of their sports teams have won their respective championship titles since 1985.

But the southern neighborhoods of the city seemed quieter and less joyous than the northern neighborhoods. A number of die-hard White Sox fans couldn’t feel the same way as the other half of their city. News stations seemed to have been forgetting their win in 2005, and everywhere in the city, no billboards boasted the chance of both of Chicago’s baseball teams winning the World Series in the past 20 years, days before the Game 7.

Despite a number of those apathetic Sox fans, there will plenty such as myself who rooted for their city and were screaming their heads off as the Cubs won on November 2nd. Despite being raised on the south side of Chicago and the south suburbs all my life, and being a Sox fan since, I was still proud of the Cubs just knowing what joy they were going to bring to the rest of the city.

Chicago’s been getting a bad wrap lately, and the tourism that’s to come and has been coming is really going to help build this city back up. Even if it wasn’t my team, the Cubs are still a part of my city, and this city is home to me. I’m still going to continue to sing “Go Cubs Go” with my north-sider friends, I’m still going to feel proud that Bill Murray shows his love for Chicago through sports, and I’m still going to make sure that I get a Chicago style hot dog any time I might go to Wrigley Field. (Even if I am going to rub it in the face of my Cubs friends that I get to claim Chance the Rapper as a Sox fan.)

So from a Sox fan to Cubs fans, congratulations of making our city proud, and you’re not alone. Even though we may have beef during the Windy City Showdown, all of us will still think we come from the greatest city in the world; and I know that there are plenty other Sox fans with me to help build our city up, and show how great Chicago is, and how all of us can call it home.