How to Stay Focused in Class

How to Stay Focused in Class

Focus

One of the most difficult thing I have faced in college is staying attentive and focused during my classes. Because I am a commuter, I try to take the earliest classes possible so that I can go home before before it gets dark. So yes… I take 8:15 a.m classes, and yes it can be quite difficult. I thought i’d share some tips on how to stay awake and attentive so that you can pay your money’s worth and actually pay attention in class!

1. First and foremost, you need to stop those allnighters. Yes, I know sometimes its extremely necessary, but time management is key. You need to learn to balance your time throughout the day so that you don’t have to pull an allnighter. Getting good sleep is the KEY to success in classes.
  2. Eat a healthy breakfast! Many students skip breakfast but it is extremely important because it keeps you energized throughout the day and avoids unhealthy snacking.
  3. Avoid sitting with friends. I know class can be fun with friends around, but if you notice yourself not paying attention when your friend is next to you, just establish it between the both of you that it will make a difference in both of your performance in the class.
  4. Put your phone on silent and keep it in your bag! This is one of the biggest distractions because after going through all of the other distractions, your last resort is your cell phone. It is definitely difficult at first, but either sacrifice it for an hour or get a bad grade that’s stuck with you forever. Your pick.
  5. Take notes, ask questions, have a goal. You need to focus your attention to what you need to know. Ask yourself questions, do I know this material? Don’t just copy what the teacher writes on the board, understand it.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions and interact in the class, chances are, someone else has the same question. Also, a lot of the time, we over think what we want to know/say so don’t let that get the best of you.