From Ohio to the Windy City

From Ohio to the Windy City

Hello everyone and welcome to my new blog, A Rambler’s Travels. I created the title inspired by Jonathon Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels to play to the irony of college life here at Loyola. No, I will not be traveling to different dimensions or worlds but I hope to make your transition from home to campus life a little easier. Now that I’ve covered the inspiration of my blog name, I would like to tell you all a little bit about myself. My name is Theresa Amato and I come from a small town of Worthington, Ohio just outside of Columbus, Ohio. I am a sophomore studying Classical Studies and Ceramics & Sculpture with a minor in Latin. During my initial college search, I sought a place that had excellent academics, had a study abroad program, was near a city and held many internship opportunities. Loyola soon became the perfect option.

Although I consider myself to be an adventurous person, being away from home can become difficult for anyone at first. Freshman year, I lived in a building with 400 other people. I had to share my room for the very first time, I didn’t have the resources to make fresh cooked meals everyday and I knew absolutely nobody on campus. Little did I know, Loyola has so many resources that accommodate people like me to this new way of living. During our first week and a half they had trolley rides, a trip to Target,  an organization fair, a new school year festival, get to know you events, poker night (not dealing with real money) and much more. Another great resource was connecting with my R.A. (Residence Assistant). He told me about upcoming events, great places to dine at near Loyola and awesome thrift stores. My last recommendation would be to connect with the people on your floor and in your classes. I found myself becoming lonely but when I began to open up, talk to people and participate in different events, I found that many other people were having a rough transition like I was.

Although most of you have another seven months before attending Loyola, I would suggest thinking about what college experiences you would like to have. Pull up google maps or yelp on a computer and search for fun places to visit in Chicago. If you are bored one day, search around on the Loyola website and see what is going on campus. There are so many opportunities and they can seem overwhelming but think positive and you’ll have the time of your life.

IMG_2276IMG_2113