One Night of Melody

One Night of Melody

This past Tuesday night, a few people involved in the vocal music program here at Loyola hosted a very special night full of jazz and soft/older pop music! I was lucky enough to be a part of this wonderful evening of music. In this post, I’m going to tell you all about One Night of Melody!

The little jazz/pop cabaret, entitled One Night of Melody, was completely put together by a senior student in the choir program who intends to study music professionally. This performance was a part of her engaged learning experience before graduating this spring. I was extremely thrilled to be a part of it! The event was held Tuesday night at 7:30 P.M. in the Mullady Theatre. About 7 different small groups, ranging from all boys, all girls, to a mix of both genders, all performed one or two songs of the jazz or pop genre. My small group, composed of about 15 women of the Loyola Women’s Chorus, performed a beautiful rendition of Ira Gershwin’s “Long Ago and Far Away. Other songs included “Ain’t Misbehavin’”, “L-O-V-E”, “Someone to Watch Over Me”, “Nice Work If You Can Get It”, “Long Train Runnin’”, and jazzy fun versions of “Blackbird” and “Sweet Caroline”. All of the groups were amazing and extremely talented! It was a lot of fun to see everyone get up on stage and perform an amazing number and sing along to the ones I knew! The audience was really into it, and made it worthwhile hearing them sing along to the popular songs!

The beautiful thing about this show was that it was free! Anyone was able to come share a love of music and watch as these students effortlessly displayed their amazing talents! It is said that this night is to become an annual thing, and I sincerely hope it does! It gives students who wish to study music professionally a chance to put together a show, work with professors, and complete an engaged learning experience before heading off into the real world. Also, it works as a creative outlet for all of the talented students involved! I know that I definitely want to participate in this program again next year in as many groups as I can be in! I love singing, and singing in little shows such as this make everything seem worthwhile because we get to share our joy with people who want to watch, for no charge! If you enjoy jazz or soft/older pop music, I highly recommend looking for this (hopefully more advertised) event next year! I know I’ll be there!