“If You Don’t Have to Think About It, It’s a Privilege”

Blog Post 32 - Photo 1

Yesterday, I attended my first Social Justice Dinner Dialog (SSJD), sponsored by the Student Diversity & Multicultural Affairs Office and hosted by RAW, or Ramblers Analyzing Whiteness, a relatively new student organization that encourages self-identified White students to explore the concept of White Privilege by engaging in thought-provoking discussions. The theme of this SSJD was Understanding White Privilege: A Journey in Solidarity with Others. Going in, I wasn’t sure what to expect from this workshop, because I had never attended, or even heard of, anything like it. I was pleasantly surprised that, by the time the presentation began, the room was full of students, faculty, and advisors of different ages, races, and genders.

The most impactful activity of the dialogue was called Stand-Up-Sit-Down: a privilege was read, and if it applied to you, then you would stand. After each privilege, you would be given several seconds to look around, to see who stood and who remained seated. I realized that it is extremely easy to assume you know and understand a person based on their appearance, when in reality, you have no idea where they come from or what experiences they have had. One particular privilege was having a supportive family. Although I assumed everyone would stand, it was not the case. Something as seemingly normal as family support constitutes a privilege that I don’t have to think or worry about, especially not on a daily basis, which was the case for some. No amount of gratitude and appreciation could account for the vast number of privileges with which I have been blessed.

During the dinner dialogue, attendees had the unique opportunity to hear from various students who shared a multitude of touching and personal stories regarding social injustice, on the topic of race in particular. As a student who doesn’t identify as white, I empathized and related with some of their experiences. At the same time, we were given examples of how individuals who do identify themselves as white, can use their birth-privilege to stand in solidarity with others, in a collective effort to effect positive social change. Privilege, however, is not limited to race. The issue extends from socio-economic privileges to the privilege of being right-handed and having scissors for your dominant hand.

For me, this was an eye-opening, and definitely thought-provoking, experience about an issue that is extremely prevalent in our daily lives and in recent news. If you ever get the chance to attend a Social Justice Dinner Dialog, I 100-percent recommend that you go. I plan on attending several others this semester as well. Kudos to the Office of Student Diversity & Multicultural Affairs Office and to RAW hosts for organizing this very relevant, awareness-raising event.

Image from: http://oi50.tinypic.com/25fn3g7.jpg