Selecting a Roommate Tips

Selecting a Roommate Tips

Hello again everyone! Since it is that time where everyone is picking out roommates, I thought I would give some tips on how to pick a good roommate. These tips can apply to anyone, whether you are a freshman or a senior looking for someone to live with. I myself chose a random roommate for my first year, and I had a positive experience with it! But, if you have a roommate in mind, make sure that you both will be compatible with each other, because of course, you will be spending a lot of time with this person.

Tip number one is to ask questions! If you are discussing living with someone, do not be embarrassed to ask certain questions that could make or break your living situation. Here are some examples:

Are you a very tidy roommate or messy?

How late do you plan on staying up?

How early do you get up?

What are your thoughts on sharing certain things? (ex: blowdryer, printers, ect.)

Are you ok with having people in the dorm?

How do you deal with stress?

Are you willing to discuss certain issues that you may have with me while we are living together?

Do you have a significant other who will be spending a lot of time in the room?

Tip number two is to see if you have common interests! Whether you have the same major, want to get involved in the same clubs, like the same books, or come from the same place, common interests are important to establishing a bonding relationship with a roommate. You do not have to have everything in common with your roommate. No need to go overkill. But, it is always nice to have things you can do together and discuss.

Tip number three is to not give into pressure! You may find that someone wants to room with you and you do not want to room with them. Be honest with them. Don’t be mean, but say and discuss why you do not think that you two would be good roommates. Remember, you will be living with this person for a whole year, so do not back down and just submit to whatever your potential roommate wants.

Tip number four is to find someone who is compatible in nature with you! If you are a shy person, you probably will not want to room with someone who is overly loud, ect. Also, if you are super studious, rooming with someone who is a big partyer in not a good idea. Discuss these things ahead of time. This is not to say that you can’t make friends who are different than you, it is just to say that having very little in common can lead to a strenuous room situation.

Tip number five is to not default to rooming with your best friend! People say that rooming with your best friend most likely leads to ruining that friendship. I think it is different for everyone, but I have seen friendships ruined due to stressful rooming situations. Go out of your comfort zone a little and try rooming with someone new! I have found that not rooming with your best friend only makes that friendship stronger. Of course this is subjective in my case, and it is different for everyone, but it is always great to room with someone new because you will make new friends and experience new things!

These are my helpful tips that I have found to be useful in my past years here. Overall though, go with your gut when picking a roommate and do not be afraid to go random! I did, and it worked out just fine for me! So good luck choosing a roommate and may the odds be ever in your favor! hehehe