Let the Packing Begin

Let the Packing Begin

Packing has never been one of my favorite tasks. At first, its exciting to anticipate the trip. But after a while of organizing, stuffing things into suitcases, and trying to decide what should stay home–I get a little overwhelmed. Especially while I’m packing for an entire semester abroad.

I’ve never tried to pack up a suitcase for more than two weeks. So as you could imagine, packing for nearly 4 months at the John Felice Rome Center has been an entirely new ball game. I’m notorious for over-packing, but this time around it’s not an option. I had a friend over to help me decide which clothes should stay and which I could bring with. We made sure to pick my more basic options that can be easily layered and made into several different outfits.

Packing shoes came down to what was comfortable, adaptable to the weather, and would match most of my clothes. I ended up packing a few more pairs than I originally thought I would be able to–thanks to my efficient suitcase packing. (I packed 3 pair of TOMS shoes–maybe too many, but they’re my favorites, rain boots, tall brown boots, army green ankle boots, tennis shoes, wedges, and a pair of sandals).

I’m learning to utilize every inch of space that I can. What I’ve found to be the most helpful for packing all my clothes are space saving bags. Similar to Space Bags, except these don’t require a vacuum. After you place your clothes inside you roll the air out by hand, then can easily stack them in your suitcase. So far I’ve used 6 of them. (And they’re the reason I can pack 9 pairs of shoes).

The belongings outside of my wardrobe have been the hardest to pack. Deciding what I need when it comes to notebooks, toiletries, snacks, and all the extra gear that becomes necessary when you live in a foreign country has not been easy. I’m trying to think ahead about what I will use the most and what I won’t be able to get once I’m in Italy–like peanut butter. I’ve acquired things like converters, a mini battery-run alarm clock, an anti-theft wallet, a backpacking backpack–heavy duty and easy to carry for travel excursions, and of course a study visa. As I finish up my shopping this weekend I’ll be looking for a travel-size umbrella, a quick-drying towel for hostels, a toothbrush case, a lock for my suitcase, and some quart sized Ziploc bags for airport security.

Packing my suitcase is just the first step in this semester long journey–I’m excited and a little nervous to fly across the pond on Tuesday for what is sure to be an adventure I will never forget.