From Student to Stylist

From Student to Stylist

Blog Post 21 - Photo 1

Hello! Are you finding everything alright? Would you like me to get a dressing room started for you?

These are a few of the lines I have been using these past three weeks while working at a clothing store at the mall. As a naturally reticent introvert, I had to make myself walk up and greet customers. Nevertheless, this task made for excellent public speaking practice and I don’t regret setting myself up for the challenge.

Just this weekend, I discovered my liking of the magnetized security sensors that are placed on all in-store clothing items. Their functionality notwithstanding, I became obsessed with the “fun” of attaching and removing the locked-on tags, happily helping my manager by volunteering for what is known to be one of the most boring of retail tasks: making sure that all items—all two hundred fifty in the first zone, in my case—are properly tagged. The tags are rather unsightly, so they are typically hidden for presentation purposes, as stores are regularly photographed by a Visual Manager for corporate review.

At my particular store, which is located in an upscale mall, all employees are asked to use the back door, to avoid the shopper-calculator on the main entrance, and because, by policy, we need to undergo bag checks and be walked out each time we leave the store. Although these safety precautions seem excessive, it makes sense from a management perspective, especially since employee turnover is high and new part-timers, like me, are constantly coming on board.
On a more serious level, I was surprised to witness the high rate of theft. Shop-lifters will go to all lengths to get something they want, for example, tearing the entire lining of hats in order to remove the embedded security tag and avoid setting off the sensor at the store entrance. It’s intriguing to see how Christmas brings out the most loving and caring versions of ourselves, yet sometimes, the spirit of the holidays sets off the most materialistic and selfish side of human nature.

I have definitely had a love-hate relationship with this job. I have loved working with the people, but retail is not likely to be a career path for me.

Image from: http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy0xYTI4YmFiZmNlZGEyNTM2.png