Disney’s Newsies at Oriental Theatre

Disney’s Newsies at Oriental Theatre

Last Wednesday, I had the opportunity to see the musical Newsies at the Oriental Theatre in downtown Chicago. I had always wanted to see this show, and being able to see it in Chicago before heading home for the holidays was the perfect way to end my semester!

Newsies is a very high energy Disney musical adapted from the 1992 movie of the same name. The show is loosely based upon the newsboys strike of 1899 and made its debut on Broadway in 2012. The show just recently began their tour across America, and made sure to stop in Chicago! The touring cast is full of extremely talented dancers and performers, making this show one that I personally did not want to miss!

I have known about the show coming to Chicago all semester, and never thought that I would get a chance to see it. The tickets were extremely expensive and I knew that it would be here right in the middle of finals. However, on the day of the performance, I received an email from a company called Hot Tix offering tickets for half-price! My roommate and I decided to take a chance and head downtown to see if this was true. When we got to the Hot Tix desk (located in the Block Thirty Seven Mall on State Street) we realized that the half price tickets would still be pretty expensive, and almost gave up. Luckily, we noticed that they would be doing a lottery. Musical lotteries are when people can place their names into a box for a chance to win up to two tickets for only 25 dollars. We decided to try our luck. Unfortunately, we did not win. However, the people running the lottery told us that if we made it to the box office in time, additional 25-dollar tickets were being sold. We made it in time, and received floor seats for only 25 dollars! It was amazing! The show was so much more than I could have expected. The set, performers, and dancing were incredible! This production was one of the best I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot!

After the show, we visited the stage door, located behind the theatre to meet the cast! After they all came out, we were able to take pictures with the cast and they signed our playbills! They were all incredibly nice and humble people! It was definitely an experience I will never forget.

Newsies will be playing at the Oriental Theatre until January 4th, 2015. If you like incredible dancing, moving storylines, and amazing performers, this is one show you will not want to miss! ☺