What Living with 4 Girls has Taught Me

What Living with 4 Girls has Taught Me

This year, four of my best friends and I were lucky enough to live in Georgetown, an upperclassman residence hall. Scoring the last apartment in Georgetown turned out to be a pretty sweet deal. With three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room, the five of us couldn’t have been happier. Now, when you throw five girls into a living space they tend to hit certain highs and lows–we were no exception. Here’s what I learned this semester:

1. Every night is girl’s night. No matter what we were up to–cooking dinner, movie night, studying–I was always got to spend time with my best friends. Which meant there was always a chance for a Taylor Swift jam session to ensue.

2. Washing the dishes is everyone’s least favorite chore. Turns out when five people share a kitchen, dishes pile up pretty quickly. And the five of us all really despised washing the dishes. After a few roomie meetings and some sticky note reminders we’ve been able to keep the dishes under control…for the most part

3. My closet expanded x4. I don’t have a sister so I never had the chance to share clothes with anyone growing up. This year I was blessed with four more closets–all belonging to girls who were willing to share.

4. Someone’s always waiting with a hug if you need it. There are certain days when you really just need a hug. Because I lived with four girls that love me, I could always count on a hug to brighten my day.

5. Confrontation is uncomfortable. Like I said, we had our lows and in that I found out that every single one of us hates confrontation, no matter how we went about it. But I think it’s fair to say that we each learned it was completely necessary to keep a peaceful home.

6. I couldn’t love our dysfunctional family more. These four girls seriously mean the world to me. I am so grateful that I got to live with them this semester. When I go abroad next semester I’ll miss laughing all night, eating pints of Ben & Jerry’s, singing at the top of our lungs, crying when we missed our moms or when class was too hard, calling Georgetown home, and living with these four incredible women.