No Turkeys were Harmed in the Creation of this Post

Happy thanksgiving y’all!

I’m writing this from somewhere in Georgia, full on a thanksgiving feast and homemade cheesecake for dessert.

Since Ramblers have only had two days of schools this week in honor of Thanksgiving break, I’ll dedicate this post to the holiday BEFORE the most wonderful time of the year.

My best friend and I drove over 700 miles from Chicago, IL to Suwanne, GA to visit a friend and come together to celebrate. We spent the day cooking, cleaning, and making Thanksgiving dinner, which actually didn’t include any kind of turkey. We all came together and connected about what we were thankful for, and one speeding ticket, three steaks, and a couple jam sessions later, we had a real Thanksgiving. For me Thanksgiving is not about listing off and reciting what you’re thankful about, but about coming together with people that you love and simply enjoying the time that you have together. We’re in college and money is tight, so any chance and/or excuse that we have to come together and actually spend time together is taken.

Since you’ve read all the way through the walk through of my Thanksgiving day, here are some fun facts about Turkey day!

1. Turkeys have heart attacks. When the Air Force was conducting test runs and breaking the sound barrier, fields of turkeys would drop dead. 

2. Thomas Jefferson didn’t think Thanksgiving was a good idea, allegedly.

3. Benjamin Franklin wanted the national bird to be a turkey.

4. 20% of cranberries are eaten on Thanksgiving.

5. The first Thanksgiving lasted for three days.

6. Wild and domesticated turkeys have different tastes!

7. In the US, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November.

8. Turkey has more protein than chicken or beef.

9.  A 16-week-old turkey is called a fryer. A five to seven month old turkey is called a young roaster.

10. Lobster, rabbit, chicken, fish, squashes, beans, chestnuts, hickory nuts, onions, leeks, dried fruits, maple syrup and honey, radishes, cabbage, carrots, eggs, and goat cheese are thought to have made up the first Thanksgiving feast

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!