Getting in the Holiday Spirit

Getting in the Holiday Spirit

Blog Post 15 - Photo 1

As Millennium Park opens its ice skating rink and Loyola begins decorating the campus with garland, big red bows, and Christmas trees, I begin to feel the holiday excitement. In addition, the annual Magnificent Mile Lights Festival, “the nation’s largest evening holiday celebration,” began its 2014 season last Saturday, November 22.

Since this was my first winter and holiday season in Chicago, the festival was a must-see. Although I wasn’t able to be there during the day, I have read that the Light Festival Lane on Michigan Avenue offers a multitude of interactive activities for families and friends from near and far. The Tree Lighting Parade at night was what I was most eager to see. Streets on either side of Michigan Avenue were cordoned off to make way for the parade. As starting time approached, the sidewalks filled up with crowds of families and children hoping to catch a glimpse of all the Disney characters, featured on the colorful floats, in the parade. The scene reminded me of a slightly tamer version of Times Square on New Year’s Eve. I had a fabulous time, watching the parade with multiple marching bands, and  my favorite Disney characters, Goofy and ‘Chip & Dale,’  sipping on my sea-salted caramel hot chocolate from the nearby Ghirardelli’s, awe-inspired by surrounded by Christmas-trees that lined the streets.

I am already looking forward to attending again next year and maybe I’ll see you there too!