Faith: a strong belief in the doctrines of a religion

Blog Post 12 - Photo 1

For several weeks now, I have been contemplating joining a Christian Leadership Community, or CLC. Strictly speaking, I do not deeply identify with any particular religion and, at the moment, am not sure exactly what I am when it comes to religious affiliation, although I wouldn’t classify myself as an ‘atheist.’ Born to a Buddhist dad and a Christian mom, and growing up in Taiwan as an American expatriate, or third culture kid, I was given the freedom to choose my own beliefs, although, for one year, I did attend a religiously affiliated school. In first grade, my mother enrolled me in a tiny missionary school founded in 1950 by the North America Pacific branch of the Seventh-day Adventist church. I remember one science teacher got a laugh every fall when he told new students how his mother responded when he told her he wanted get a college degree: Why do you want to go to college? Jesus is coming!

In the past, I have been exposed to some religion, but never in depth. I was never certain whether or not I desired to explore faith. Now, attending a Jesuit school has placed me in a learning environment filled with myriad opportunities to interact with others in faith-based settings. This past Sunday, I participated in the Hunger Week CLC Canned Food Drive, not as a member of any CLC, but as merely a student volunteer. Walking around the Rogers Park neighborhood, collecting nonperishable foods for A Just Harvest, a community kitchen located close to Howard station, was a rewarding activity, especially on a cool, sunny day. Being around people who share similar beliefs and values creates a comforting sense of community and companionship.

There is probably no better time to explore faith than in college; meeting all kinds of people allows us to interact with all types of—as well as interpretations of—religions from across the globe. I came across an article in the Chicago Tribune that discusses how the number of college students who attend services decreases by two-thirds between sophomore and junior year. Yet, many students, in retrospect, say the experience gave them a better understanding about religion, spirituality and their own inner faith.

Image from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eleaf/2536358399/sizes/z/in/faves-everydaypoems/