Thank you, NSCS!

Thank you, NSCS!

Blog 4—NSCS School Supplies Drive

National Society of Collegiate Scholars, a service honors society on campus, held its 2014 New Member Induction Ceremony last Sunday in the Rambler Room.  In conjunction with the Induction Ceremony, NSCS asked their new members to donate school supplies for on-campus tutoring programs and a local community center.  These outlets both serve underprivileged areas of Chicago with students who are eager to learn but unable to afford the essential notebook and pencil.

As the VP of Community Service of NSCS, I directed the school supplies drive.  This was my first drive that I ever organized, and I made every effort to arrive prepared.  I entered Rambler Room with four large cardboard boxes, a sign for the table, a sign-in sheet for donors, pens, tape, and even decorations and balloons.  My table was constructed at least an hour before the first guest shook my hand.  I was set.

Or so I thought.  As the clock approached 10:30, inductees and family members began to arrive with pens, pencils, notebooks, and even backpacks full of supplies.  With ten minutes before the ceremony began, and half of the inductees still absent, my boxes were teeming with supplies of all different colors and designs.  Once everyone took their seats at 11 A.M., my table was covered with donations, with some rulers and markers spilling onto the floor.

Needless to say I was impressed and humbled by the success of the drive, thanks to the generosity of the members.  All it took to raise this overwhelming support were two hundred new inductees to a club and a few emails ahead of time.  The 265 new NSCS members and their families were so charitable on Sunday as they brought forth such support for early education.  In fact, our NSCS president commented that of all NSCS donation drives to date, this school supplies drive had one of the most enthusiastic responses.  More importantly, this event will benefit hundreds of students around Chicago and empower them in their early education.

NSCS is a great platform for students interested in service to make a difference.  I am looking forward to work with the new members of our club through more donation drives and service trips!  With one drive under my belt, I now know to think big with the student service events, and to bring plenty of boxes, because NSCS is just beginning.  Congratulations, 2014-2015 inductees!

NSCS