Volunteer!

Volunteer!

One of my favorite things about attending a Jesuit institution is it’s important value, “service to others.”  It seems like there are infinite volunteer opportunities at Loyola, whether they be posted online or posted on bulletin boards throughout the many buildings.  Volunteering has always been a huge part of my life, so I was excited Loyola had so many great opportunities.

One of the first organizations I became involved in at Loyola was Loyola4Chicago.  Loyola4Chicago is a program that recruits students to perform weekly volunteer services at a number of different sites.  These sites include Big Brothers Big Sisters, volunteering at homeless shelters, and volunteering at a home for people with developmental disabilities, to name a few.  My freshman year, I volunteered at a school that had an afterschool program called Teen REACH.  I offered homework help as well as assisted in different life skills enrichment activities.  My sophomore year I volunteered at Misericoridia, which is a home for people with developmental disabilities.  I would hang out with the residents and help them to knit or work on different art projects.  Both experiences were incredibly rewarding, and I am grateful that I was able to help those in need.

There are numerous other volunteer opportunities available through Loyola.  One way to find out about these opportunities is to search on RamblerLink; RamblerLink is Loyola’s online job, internship, and volunteer database.   Another way is to navigate through Loyola’s Center for Service and Action website. This website lists ongoing volunteer projects as well as one time volunteer projects.  The opportunities to volunteer in the city of Chicago are endless, whether it be volunteering at an animal shelter, volunteering with kids, or volunteering with people with developmental disabilities.  I am so thankful I attend an organization that values service as much as I do!