St. Patrick’s Day

St. Patrick’s Day

St. Patrick’s day in Chicago is the best! At home, St. Patrick’s day comes and goes with an article of green clothing and maybe some green eggs. But in Chicago, it’s a whole different story.

We celebrated it on Saturday instead of Sunday. My day started when I woke up at 7:30 am to start getting ready for the day. I dressed up in my best green gear and, unfortunately, had to grab my coat and mittens because it was so cold! I headed over to a friends apartment for some St. Patrick’s day breakfast. We had scrambled eggs (unfortunately not green), bacon, french toast casserole and blueberry muffins. It was a feast!

We left his apartment around 9:15 am to head downtown for the dying of the river at 10:00 am. The Chicago river is dyed green every year to celebrate the holiday. In case you have never seen it in person, it is not a murky, dark green like you may be thinking. It is a vibrant, bright green. I marvel at its color every year and how they manage to get it to be such a bright color continues to be a mystery to me.

After the dying of the river, we warmed up a little in a coffee shop before heading to the parade. I can not believe how many people showed up for the parade! Downtown was so crowed but so awesome. Everyone was in green and in a great mood.

By the end of the parade, we were exhausted and hungry. So we jumped on the El and headed back towards Rogers Park. We stopped at Aldi on the way home and made ourselves a (not very Irish) lunch of turkey tacos. We were pooped and ready for a nap after our late lunch.

Needless to say, it was so much fun celebrating St. Patricks day here in Chicago. If you don’t believe me, just look at some of the awesome pictures we took during the day!