Bloggers

• avatar

Lori Greene

From the Director
  • avatar

Lindsy Fagerstrom

Admission Ramblings
  • avatar

Yuliya Chernyavskaya

The Lively Undergrad Chronicles
  • avatar

Asha Fil

Capture the Campus
  • avatar

Joseph Filer

Ramblin' with a Camera
  • avatar

Kyle Forbush

Ramble On!
  • avatar

Ellen Gordon

Sleep is for the Weak (or the Weekends)
  • avatar

Nicholas Herrmann

LUCky Life
  • avatar

Antoinette Isama

Loyola Through My Eyes
  • avatar

Mary Catherine Mason

Meet Me in Chicago
  • avatar

Kaia Trubiano

Livin’ La Vida Loyola
  • avatar

Tanner Walters

Life on the Lake

Internships on Internships: Cover Letter Tips

Posted on: March 13th, 2013 by Kaia Trubiano 1 Comment

Since I’m a second semester junior (crazy!!), it’s about that time where I have to start applying to social work internships for my senior year.  The School of Social Work requires all Bachelor’s students to have either a summer internship or a fall and spring internship during senior year in order to graduate.  Other majors that require internships are any major in the School of Communication and Education (student teaching), as far as I know.  Other majors can require clinical work (nursing).

In order for me to secure an internship for next year, I had to do a number of things.  First, I had to have a meeting with the Social Work Internship Coordinator.  I gave her my resume and application and just chatted with her about my future career goals.  After that, she sent me an email with two internship referrals.

My Internship Coordinator gave me two really great referrals; both work with youth and families.  I now have to apply to the agencies and send them my resume and cover letters.  I’ve been working on cover letters for these internships and summer internships all day! It takes awhile to write them because you have to gear them towards each individual agencies.

Since cover letter writing is currently fresh in my mind, I thought I’d give a few tips (thanks to my Internship Coordinator for these great suggestions!)

1. It is essential to tailor each cover letter to the specific place you are applying.  Do your research!

2. It is also essential to communicate your enthusiasm for the place/position.  Show you are very interested and happy to have the opportunity to apply.

3.  Always try to address the person by name/title.  Try to avoid “To Whom It May Concern” as much as possible.

3. There should be around 3-4 paragraphs: In the intro, you should introduce yourself, state how you heard about the position, and a sentence about why you would make a good candidate.  In the body, you should summarize your qualifications in relation to the position, further emphasizing what makes you a great candidate.  In the conclusion, you should restate your interest in the position and then provide your contact information.

4. Proofread!!! If I hadn’t proofread my cover letters a few times each, I would’ve missed a few mistakes, which would have been embarrassing.

Well, those are my cover letter writing tips.. I am definitely no expert, but with all this internship applying and cover letter writing I thought I’d share some things that really helped me.  Now, the wait for responses from these agencies begins!

Tags: , ,

One Response

1. avatar Morgan says:

Do I need to put a signature above my name? Do I need to scan my signature and copy/paste it to my cover letter?