Working out at Halas gym

Working out at Halas gym

Something that is a pretty large part of my daily life, and about which I never write, is Loyola’s gym.

Halas is one of those things that I encounter on a daily basis knowing that in just a few short years (maybe one? I don’t know their plans) it will be much better. But, for now, isn’t hitting it’s full potential.

A lot of people complain about having the weights and the cardio machines all together in the same room. That does not really bother me all that much; I have long since abandoned any notion of not making a fool of myself or failing in front of the opposite gender. Once I realized that everybody is on their own program and has their own goals, I realized that nobody could ever judge me (and I could not judge them) for how much weight they were lifting or how they were using the cardio machines.

No, the problems I have have more to do with the facility and less to do with the layout.

Sometimes they have problems controlling the heat. The ceiling now is pretty low, but this will change soon. As part of the ongoing construction, Loyola is going to expand and add to the existing gym. It should be a much improved space. The space is very usable now, but is only going to be better in the near future.

Finally, I have to admit that I’m not much of a top 40’s guy. Some of the music they play is… suspect. To my ears. I do not doubt that most folks enjoy it. But personally, I always appreciate the time I am there when they play no music at all. Everybody has headphones anyway!

At the end of the day though, I do not want to be a complete Debbie Downer. Going to Halas has been one of the better parts of how Loyola has made it easy for me to improve myself this year. I’ve met a lot of personal goals in that gym, and it feels good to be able to work on my health for free on campus.