Oscar Sunday While Abroad

Oscar Sunday While Abroad

If you couldn’t tell by now, I am a complete pop culture junkie.  Being abroad has been a challenge to my fanatic love of pop culture, as I do not have direct access to American television shows/movies/gossip.  So, on Oscar Sunday I was a sad I didn’t have access to the red carpet or the award show. Thankfully, Loyola pulled through for me!

I went downstairs to the basement and game room, and to my luck, the Oscars were streaming on the giant projection screen! I was so happy, I woke right up and watched most of the Oscars (yes, it was starting at 2 am.. I’m dedicated).  I thought I’d share my thoughts on a few of the winners.

Best Actress: Meryl Streep- “The Iron Lady.” I love Meryl and she is, in my opinion, the best actress of this generation. But I wish the award would’ve gone to Viola Davis for her role in “The Help.” ” The Help” was an empowering movie and Viola made it what it is.

Best Actor: Jean Dujardin- “The Artist.” I was hoping George Clooney would win, as I thought he was great in “The Descendants,” but I can’t judge this one because I didn’t see “The Artist.”  I’ve heard it’s great, though.

Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer- “The Help.”  I was 100% happy with this winner.  Octavia was amazing as Minnie Jackson in “The Help.” However, I wouldn’t have minded seeing Jessica Chastain (same film) or Melissa McCarthy (“Bridesmaids”) take home the Oscar.

Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer- “The Beginners.” (Oldest winner ever- 82 years old!)  To be honest, I have never seen any of the movies in this category.  I love Kenneth Branagh, so he would probably have been my pick.

Best Picture: “The Artist.”  Again, I haven’t seen The Artist, but clearly, “The Help” would’ve been my choice.

I loved being able to watch The Oscars from the other side of the world. And I cant wait to see the great movies to come that will be honored at next years Oscars.