The Music of Italy

The Music of Italy

One of the strangest things I’ve experienced here is the amount of American music played. Maybe that’s the norm, but when I would envision Italy I would picture sitting in a little cafe while listening to Andrea Bocelli or some other Italian  artist. This is not the case at all.

The first time I went to a cafe, I found myself drinking a cappucino and listening to…Snoop Dogg? My friends and I couldn’t help but laugh; we had no idea American music (even rap!) had such a big influence over here! Some of Italy’s favorites are Rihanna, Usher and Madonna.

There has been only a few times where I’ve heard Italian music played. These instances have been at nicer authentic Italian restaurants. Some restaurants even play the classic Dean Martin version of “Volare” and “That’s Amore.” There has been one song that I have hear countless times between the Rihanna and Usher tunes. All the Italians seem to go crazy when they hear it, and it’s actually becoming one of my favorite songs of the moment. Check it out.

An Italian Favorite