HOBY Past Meets Present

HOBY Past Meets Present

I am so pleased that the Hugh O’Brien Youth (HOBY) Foundation chose Loyola as the host institution for the 43rd Annual World Leadership Conference. Next week, we’ll welcome more than 400 high school sophomores from around the world. Students will have the chance to spend dedicated time on campus and in the city of Chicago hearing from top leaders in business, government, medicine, and so much more. Check out the details!

In 1988, I was nominated by my high school to attend the state conference for HOBY. Not knowing too much about the organization, I was anxious to learn more about how to build my own leadership skills and I really wanted to meet other high school students who were interested in the same activities as me.

Little did I know that I would make some great friends and HOBY would provide a chance for me to interact with some great leaders from many different backgrounds. I was motivated to get involved even more in my high school and within my community. It was the first time I realized that what I was doing—at that moment in my life—really mattered and that I really could make a difference. In other words, I didn’t have to wait until I “grew up.”

Prospective parents: if you haven’t heard about HOBY, check it out and see if this is an opportunity for your son or daughter to get involved. Prospective students: HOBY targets sophomores in high school, so pass along the word to anyone you think is an outstanding leader. The world needs great leaders now!

Remember: Colleges and universities love to see leadership activities for prospective applicants. We also focus on leadership in our programming for Loyola students.