“Thanks Mom!”

“Thanks Mom!”

It was a very hot and sunny day on Sunday, May 8, 1994 when I walked across the stage to shake the hand of the college President and to accept my bachelor’s degree. It was also Mother’s Day and the guy next to me had the words “Thanks Mom!” on his graduation cap. It was a memorable moment under the shady oak trees, classmates and family gathered, all of us listening to our commencement speaker, Fanny Flagg, after her most recent success with “Fried Green Tomatoes.” We took pictures and threw our hats up and waited for the rest of the celebrations to commence. My mother leaned in as we took pictures and said, “You just gave me the best Mother’s Day present I could ask for.” It was a great feeling.

This past weekend on May 12–14, more than 1,500 graduating students and the entire Loyola community celebrated the 141st annual commencement. The weekend was packed with events and excitement for students, parents, faculty, staff, and guests that included a Baccalaureate Mass, an Honors Convocation, class parties with family and friends, and of course, commencement ceremonies with some outstanding guest speakers. It still gives me goose bumps when I think of students we see come in through the admission process and then see them transformed four years later into mature, young adults who are ready to tackle anything. This year we once again claim some top Fulbright Scholars as well. Imagine their next steps!

So, CONGRATULATIONS to all Loyola University Chicago graduates, Class of 2011! Thinking of the many graduation speakers that I have heard and/or read remarks from, I ran through the list trying to think of who offered some refreshing advice to new grads. So I pulled an old, torn out newspaper clipping from 2001 when Jon Bon Jovi spoke to some graduating college seniors with the following advice:

“And I can tell you this: It’s passion, not pedigree, that can and will win in the end.” Further, he goes on to say, “To sum it up, there’s a few things I know for sure: Grow up…but don’t grow old. Miracles happen every day—change your perception of what a miracle is, and you’ll see them all around you. Elvis is most certainly alive. Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making plans (John Lennon). Live while you’re alive…And thank your parents…Today marks your rookie season in the big game. Get out there and play. Hold your diploma up in your hands, and do the touchdown dance. Let the world know you scored. That piece of paper in your hands is the ball, your everything…”