Loyola Arabic Votes 2020: A Prayer for Peace & Humanity

Posted on: November 4th, 2020 by sabbadi

At such unprecedented times globally, Arabic learners at Loyola University Chicago make their voices heard through a collage of sounds, words, images, and actions to vote 2020. With Loyola spirit embedded in their excellence and transformative growth as students of Arabic, we invite you to tour our blog and share the love, peace, equity, privilege, and global family reminders shared. Our thanks to Chairperson Susana Cavallo and Dean Peter Schraeder for all support for the Arabic Program Minor and its vision.

Rahemah 103: In the current state of affairs, with divisive politics and polarized opinions; the world has forgotten what it means to love their neighbor as they love themselves. The world has forgotten what it means to be at peace, and seek it out for not only themselves, but for others. And this is why I cast my vote and let my voice be heard, this is what I work towards. For the good of mankind in peace and love.

Almeerah 103: Felons and undocumented immigrants can’t vote but are greatly affected by votes. My poster” Our homes, Dreams, and lives are in your hands” encourages those who have the privilege to use it.

Natalie 103: Our world is ruled by hegemonic social norms, dictating who you can and cannot be. I want freedom from the status quo, freedom from corrupt policy-makers, freedom from oppression. The time for equality is now.

Taha 103: “Peace and freedom God- willing”: These two words symbolize the key foundations every functioning and safe society needs to prosper. With the election on the horizon, it is more important now than ever for the American people to unite and preserve both peace and freedom since they are under threat. The two blue symbols on the left and right are peace signs and the one in the middle is the “key of life”, the Ancient Egyptian symbol for creation, life and eternity.

We Want Freedom Now!

Ayesha 103: I chose to write these words because one of the greatest ways people can use their voice is through voting. They can enact change, and fight for their human rights, that belong to everyone and not to a select

Alec 103: I want to emphasize empathy for others. When we vote, it is easy to get stuck on small issues that consume us, but I think the country will always work better if we make our votes while thinking of others, not just ourselves. For that reason, I wrote “vote for the people” as a reminder to make sure we are helping America be a country of equality and success for all.

Amira 103: Voting is important to me because there was a time when people who looked like me weren’t allowed to vote. I vote for freedom, I vote for liberty, I vote for peace, I vote for HUMANITY! I vote for those who can’t so that one day they can. 

Claire 103: This year, it is as important as ever for women across the nation to exercise their right to vote. This year marks the 100 year anniversary of the ratification of the 19th amendment, which granted women the right to vote in the United States. As a group that has only recently gained this right, we must continue to let our voices be heard in these pivotal elections. 

Solaris 103: This past year has brought a lot of stress and pain to the surface for many people and I just want to see peace in this country

Haba 103: This country was built by minorities and yet we are the ones being silenced the most. 

Simon 103: “There is no American Truth…Or Republican Truth…Or Democrat Truth…Only Truth!” I chose these words out of a frustration at this government’s discerning attempts to utilize public distrust of media and a plethora of contradictory information, with greater ease than ever before, being channeled directly to the populace. If it continues, the basis by which any democratic institution can function is subverted. We’re already seeing it with militias, threats of voter intimidation and allegations of fraud, and open speech of limiting the votes counted to those on November 3rd—with total dismissal of mail in ballots during a global pandemic. These things are all true. Regardless of where you are or who you vote for.

Kate 103: A voice of fear promotes nonaction and an unchanging society. But a voice of hope makes room for growth in society so all individuals may have respect and equality.

Jenna 103: This election is a crucial moment because the outcome will determine our future. Listening to every individual’s voice now will lead to a more accepting nation.

Myah 103: Voting is so important, and a lot of people don’t think their vote matters. That because they are only one person their vote won’t make a difference. Your vote matters

Sara 101: Being a part of a political party gives individuals the freedom and right to vote. It gives the people the freedom to choose on who represents them. I added flowers to the picture because flowers symbolism love, joy, and yellow specifically symbolizes friendship.  

Lilly 101: I think America needs a different party (other than the Democratic and Republican parties) because in my opinion both have strayed from their original values and have become corrupt. Politics should be about uniting people and the current parties seem to strive to divide the nation and push people further apart

Violet 101: “This is the voice of my freedom!” Recently, masks have become politicized as a symbol of suppressing people’s freedoms. I see wearing a mask as a way to regain more of my freedoms in a post-quarantine world.

Ola 101: This is a critical time in our country because the results of the election can greatly impact our generation and many to come. We need to be compassionate and hope for change.

Elise 101: While it can be counterproductive to be highly distasteful of opposing political parties, in this current environment, I am. The “religious” values claimed by the republican party do not, in fact, seem to be Judeo-Christian in nature at all. I believe that the clear values of generosity, a lack of judgment, acceptance, and love should be the values forwarded by political parties that claim faith-based ideologies. I think that Jesuit values actually epitomize many values of the Democratic party. This is why, as presented in my poster, I stand by liking one political party and not the other.  

Carolina 101: My poster is asking the reader if they like money, hospitals, transportations, education, the environment, and houses. This shows that if you care about the economy, insurance, housing, etc you should go vote since these are a handful of topics valued in election.

Ayse 101:  Freedom is humanity’s utmost principle. It is the responsibility and essence of every country to provide freedom to its people. Without freedom, there is no country.

Alexis 101: When a voice is not used, freedom does not exist. That is why it is so important to make our voices heard this election, so that we can see change

Mohammad 101: 2020 has made many of us deeply reflect and fully understand what leadership, patriotism, and political affiliations truly mean.  Those who you vote for to govern you, are the ones who you trust. They are your family.

Andrew 101: “One family. One country. One love!” I wanted to express the value of unity and solidarity. I believe that as Americans and as members of the global community we should work towards seeing what unites us as one human family.

Jake 101: Columbine. The 2008 crash. Endless wars. A new recession. A global pandemic. This country is sick, and the responsibility to bring it back to health is on the youth.

Mena 101: during this time, we have to recall that having the RIGHT to vote, and having your voice HEARD is a privilege.  Speak up for the PEOPLE that cannot be HEARD. Speak up for equity and LIBERTY for ALL.