Opportunities for Journalism Students by Karly Free

by Karly Free

School of Communication Major: Journalism

Minors: Sociology, English

Senior

As a senior studying Broadcast Journalism at Loyola, there are many extracurricular activities available to get involved in. I am an active member of Loyola’s chapter of Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) and the Beta Rho Honors Society. In addition, I sometimes write for Loyola’s student newspaper, The Loyola Phoenix.

As a member of Loyola’s chapter of SPJ, I attend chapter meetings on a biweekly basis. As a group, we work with students at Senn High School to help improve their broadcast news skills. In addition, our chapter holds events in the School of Communication. Last year, our SPJ chapter partnered with the Chicago Headline Club to collaborate on a panel discussion dedicated to talking about Al Jazeera America.

FreeStudio(Karly at the anchor desk in the School of Communication studio)

Loyola’s Beta Rho Honors Society is a chapter of the National Communication Associate Undergraduate Honors Society (Lambda Pi Eta). As a member of Beta Rho I attend chapter meetings where I help brainstorm ideas for upcoming events. This past semester (Fall 2014), some members of our chapter taught students from The Westside Writing Project broadcast terms and interview techniques.

Since my freshman year I have wrote for The Loyola Phoenix. Topics that I have covered include: haunted buildings in Chicago, a music review of Jessie Baylin’s Little Spark album, Loyola’s President’s Medallion, and college textbook prices. I highly recommend getting involved by writing for The Loyola Phoenix as soon as you can. The editors will guide you through the editing process so you can improve your writing.

In addition to these activities within the School of Communication, I have really enjoyed my “Newscasting & Producing” class, which takes place twice a week in the School of Communication’s convergence studio. The class, which is part of my capstone, operates like a newsroom and our class produces a weekly newsmagazine, Studio 51.

My best advice: take every opportunity that you can…you never know where it will lead you!