Dress to Impress

Holding tight to your college wardrobe?  As a Loyola alumna, I can attest to the glory days of hoodies and jeans.  I miss them terribly, especially on snowy days like today.  Inevitably, I held a few internships and upon graduation, started my quest for employment, like all of you will.  After I bid farewell to my school books and days of interning, I traded in my comfy student look for one more suited to the professional world.  It happened to me, it will happen to you.

Luckily, the SOC and the Career Center have a lovely event planned to help you with that transition.  You’re going hear a lot about first impressions during the job-hunting process.  Nailing a first impression is not to be taken lightly.  55% of a person’s opinion is determined by physical appearance, and as for first impressions, they are formed within about 12 harsh seconds.  Next Thursday, Career Week 2013 is taking a little break from workshops and resumes to show you how to tailor yourself on a student budget.

Join us in the SOC lobby on January 31st from 4-6pm.  We are treating you to manicures, mini makeovers, professional fashion advice, the chance to win a Kindle Fire, and a live fashion show.  Our SOC runway models will share their journeys from students to professionals.  Come, eat, watch, mingle, win, and learn how to look your very best for future employers.  After all, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.  

Event: Shut Up, Suit Up: Tailor Yourself on a College Budget

Date: Thursday January 31, 2013

Time: 4pm-6pm

Venue: SOC Lobby

The School of Communication’s blog features event details, profiles of young alumni who networked well, tips for career success, how to work a career fair, and more.  Check out http://blogs.luc.edu/soc/    for the full story.  Stay tuned to the School of Communication Facebook & Twitter(@Loyola_SoC) for to-the-minute event updates.  Join the conversation at #SOCCareer.