So tell me about yourself… | Perfecting the Elevator Speech

In this digital age, employers are used to reviewing resumes and cover letters online — but nothing beats dazzling a potential employer in person. Want to make sure you are remembered? Check out these tips for success at the School of Communication’s Career Fair on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013.

Of course, you’ve done your homework prior to the fair  — you’ve attended all the Career Week events, perfected your resume, sharpened your interview skills, researched companies you’re interested in and donned your professional outfit. But do you have an elevator speech prepared? If you’ve ever been on a professional interview or attended a networking event, you know the first question you’ll be asked is “so tell me about yourself?” This question often sets the stage for the rest of the interview and can reveal who you are as a person and employee. Even the most prepared interviewees are often tripped on this question.  Need help perfecting your own answer? The Career Development Center at Loyola recommends the following to nail the elevator speech. Check out these tips to wow an employer.

Elevator Speech

An “elevator speech” is a 30-60 second introduction that tells who you are as a professional, what you enjoy doing, and what you are looking for. It’s the answer to the question “Tell me about yourself.” It offers the opportunity to express your expertise and strengths, and to position your capabilities in the mind of the listener. In creating your “elevator speech” you need to be creative and innovative, yet tactful and professional. Keep in mind the finished product should take you no more than approximately 30 seconds to verbally recite (about the amount of time you would have in an elevator ride). Include:

• I am a (professional / student / at the level of) …
  • With experience in (functions / capabilities) …
  • My strengths and interests include (unique activities and professional qualities) …
  • I have worked with/for (types of organizations / industries / fields) …
  • I am seeking an opportunity in …
  • Do you know anyone who happens to work in that field?
  • Would you be willing to keep an eye out for something that matches those qualifications?
  • Do you know someone else I can contact who might be able to assist me?

Polish that introduction and plan on attending the following career week events:

Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013: How I Got My Job: Conversations with Young Alumni & Resume Workshop | Regents Hall | 4 -6 p.m

Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013: Nail that Interview, Land the Job: Interview Do’s and Don’ts |

Regents Hall | 4- 6 p.m

Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013: Shut Up, Suit Up: Tailor Yourself on a Student Budget |

SOC Lobby | 4 – 5:30p.m

Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013: Career & Internship Fair | Knickerbocker Hotel | 163 E. Walton Street | 3:00 – 5:30 p.m

We’ll be chatting about career week and topics here on the SOC blog, leading up to our events in January. Check back with us soon and join the conversation on Twitter (@Loyola_SoC) with #SOCCareer for more information.