- January 2, 2013
- 11:59 am
- Meghan Ashbrock
Answering the Post-Grad Questions | Career Success as a Senior
As your second semester of senior year is approaching, so are the inevitable questions from family and friends about your post-grad plans. (Or maybe you’re even asking yourself.) You’ve probably rehearsed your elevator speech to the question “so what are you going to do after you graduate?” Many are still trying to figure out what the future looks like, so be sure to take advantage of the School of Communication’s Career Week to help demystify your plans after May.
Young School of Communication alumni will offer their insight into how to land a first job; industry professionals will serve as ‘career coaches’ to improve your resume and interview skills; and learn how to turn drab to fab at the Career Fashion event. Plan on joining us at the Career & Internship Fair on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013 at the Knickerbocker Hotel at 163 E. Walton Avenue. So many fantastic employers want to meet you that we’ve outgrown our space at WTC, so we’ve moved just down the street. So brush up those resumes, practice your elevator speech and you’ll be well on your way to having an answer to those dreaded questions about your future.
Between now and then, stay on track by following a few of the Career Development Center guidelines:
- Identify top skills and interests from past academic and work experiences
- Enroll in electives that will further your career and personal goals
- Search job postings on Rambler Link and other websites
- Register and participate in on-campus recruiting for post-graduate jobs
- Network with friends, family, alumni, faculty and acquaintances
- Prepare and update resume for full-time job search or graduate school applications
- Sharpen interview skills through practice and mock interviews
- Attend university and community job fairs (Attend the SOC Career Fair on Tuesday, Feb. 5 at the Knickerbocker Hotel from 3 – 5 p.m)
Plan on attending the following career week events:
Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013: How I Got My Job: Conversations with Young Alumni & Resume Workshop | Regents Hall | 4 -6 p.m
Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013: Nail that Interview, Land the Job: Interview Do’s and Don’ts |
Regents Hall | 4- 6 p.m
Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013: Shut Up, Suit Up: Tailor Yourself on a Student Budget |
SOC Lobby | 4 – 5:30p.m
Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013: Career & Internship Fair | Knickerbocker Hotel | 163 E. Walton Street | 3:00 – 5:30 p.m
We’ll be chatting about career week and topics here on the SOC blog, leading up to our events in January. Check back with us soon and join the conversation on Twitter (@Loyola_SoC) with #SOCCareer for more information.