Introducing Khalil Watson, 1L at Loyola University Chicago School of Law

What’s up everyone! My name is Khalil Watson and I’m a 1L currently making it through my first semester of law school a Loyola University Chicago School of Law. I’m here to give you a look into my experience living in the Chi’ as a law student. While school is my first priority what’s life without…life? So i’ll definitely be giving some insight on various things I do throughout the city, school related and otherwise. So stick with me through Torts class, bar reviews, networking, and my first Chicago winter. Oh, and never hesitate to say ‘SUP’ or just to reach out for whatever!

California King
I was born in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and the first few years of my life was spent between there and Jacksonville, North Carolina. Luckily, my Mumu (mom) moved us to her home state of California. After stints in Corona (909!), Riverside (951!), and Santa Ana (714!), we settled in South Orange County. I did most of my schooling there and was able to have access to top public schools, the beach, In-N-Out, and numerous other opportunities.

Thee Mecca: HU! YOU KNOW!!
I had dreams of playing Division 1 college football, so out of high school I attended and played at Saddleback College, a community college, in California. After a few years there, I made the choice to attend a HBCU (Historically Black College or University) and NONE is better than my alma mater ‘Thee’ Howard University. Located in Washington D.C., Howard afforded me opportunities like no other. I majored in Legal Communications with a minor in Political Science, played D-1 football, competed on a Top-50 nationally ranked mock trial team, and was able to lobby on Capitol Hill.

Post (Under)Grad
After graduating from Howard I stayed in D.C. for a few months working on the Hill lobbying, but eventually returned to California, where I was the most educated Fro-yo employee in my city. A few months later I was hired as a paralegal at a worker’s compensation firm in Santa Ana, California. As many people find out post-grad depression is extremely real and it’s dire that you find something that allows you a break away from life, so I started coaching football at my old high school. Fast forward another year and here I am, in Chicago for the first time in the trenches of my 1L year.

Now What
I don’t know what’s next. I’m not 100% sure what kind of law I want to practice. I’m not sure about a lot of things, except it’s best not to stress because life continues regardless. Handle what you have the ability to control. The rest is the rest.

Khalil Watson is a 1L at Loyola University Chicago School of Law.  He is blogging about the journey of his first year of law school. To search all posts written by him search the Khalil category on the right hand side. Questions for Khalil? Email law-admissions@luc.edu with the subject “Ask Khalil” and he will make sure to answer them in a future post.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Khalil, Life at Loyola, Student Life. Bookmark the permalink.