Liz R: 1L of a Schedule

A lot of incoming students have asked me what a typical day as a 1L looks like. I thought it would be helpful to show you my schedule for this week.

While every student’s daily routine is different, the class blocks are about the same.  A student’s schedule varies based on how they balance studying with their social life.  In general, most students have time to spend at least one evening off a week to relax.

Chicago is truly a great city and there’s no reason to stay locked in the library all day – go to a comedy show, barcade, or just a fun dinner with friends.  While studying is always a priority, you can make time to enjoy the city.

My Schedule

My calendar is color coded – purple for classes, grey for office hours, yellow for social events, blue for study dates, red for “to-do’s” and green for when I’m at the admissions office.

While my calendar may look busy,  it does not feel as hectic as it looks.

Liz Calendar

The second semester of 1L year, students take five courses – four of which are chosen for you (Contracts, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Legal Writing II) and one perspective elective. I chose an Interdisciplinary Seminar on Domestic Violence because the professor is amazing but there is a long list of courses available (visit Loyola’s website for full curriculum guidelines).

I am typically at school from 8:30 a.m.to 5:00 p.m. during the week (not including Tuesdays when I have night class).  I spend about 3 hours preparing for each class period.  On weekdays, I read on my commute to school, in between classes, during meals (unless I am eating with a friend) and a little after dinner.  Reading consumes my life but I balance it out with the occasional Romeo Santos Pandora station and/or podcasts (My podcast favorites: The Axe Files, NPR, or This American Life).

We do not have class on Fridays, which make it the perfect day to prepare for the next week of classes or attend symposiums on your topics of interest.  It’s also a great day to sleep in and meet with a friend for brunch before heading to the library.

Each 1L course has assigned Academic Tutors, which are 2L or 3L students who have previously had the same professor and excelled in the course. The Academic Tutors attend each class session and hold weekly office hours (in addition to the professor’s weekly office hours).  Tutors also provide us with practice questions, prepare us for the final and comment on our outlines throughout the semester.

As you can see from my calendar, I am pretty busy but there is still time for a social life. I hope it brings you comfort to know that even on my busiest days I know that the long hours are worth it.  Choosing to go to law school, and choosing Loyola, is a decision I would not change.

Hopefully this was helpful and gives you a better idea of what to expect once you start law school! Please continue to send any questions you may have about anything you may want to know about Loyola and my experience.

Liz Rodriguez is a 1L at Loyola University Chicago School of Law.  She is blogging about the journey of her first year of law school. To search all posts written by her search the Liz R. category on the right hand side. Questions for Liz? Email law-admissions@luc.edu with the subject “Ask Liz” and she will make sure to answer them.

Related Post: Kelly’s week as a 1L

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Life at Loyola, Liz R., Student Life. Bookmark the permalink.