Introducing Liz Rodriguez, 1L at Loyola University Chicago School of Law

E1Welcome! My name is Elizabeth Rodriguez (Liz) and I am in my first year (1L) at Loyola University Chicago School of Law.  My purpose for blogging is to show you what my 1L year looks like and hopefully help you shape what your 1L year will look like.  I will be writing about my experiences both in the classroom and in the real world.  I am interested in public interest law and litigation but will be interviewing classmates who specialize in other fields so you can see a holistic perspective of what Loyola can offer you.  I look forward to going on this journey with you! If you see me around, please say hi and introduce yourself!

Where I am from:  I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago (specifically – the Pilsen, Brighton Park, and Midway area).  Both of my parents, Octavio and Mayola, were born in Mexico and immigrated to the United States.  I have a huge extended family and three wonderfully crazy sisters. e2The majority of my family lives in or near Chicago so I used to spend a lot of my time laughing, dancing and hanging out with family members.  That had to change once I started law school (which I plan on discussing in a future blog for you lovely people with big families).

Where I went to school:  I received my BA from Northern Illinois University (NIU).  I majored in Political Science, with an emphasis in International Studies, and minored in Women’s Studies and Psychology. In the summer of 2009, I studied abroad in Tanzania to assist in the building of a girl’s dormitory and to complete an independent study on the barriers rural Tanzanian girls face when seeking an education.  In addition to that trip, I worked in a Women’s Studies Department and completed an internship at a safe house for domestic violence victims.

e3What I have been up to: Since graduating from NIU, I took a few years off to confirm whether I wanted to work in the non-profit sector and/or attend law school.  After a variety of non-profit positions, I worked at a law firm to confirm the legal path was right for me.  I took a position as a legal assistant in a law firm’s worker’s compensation department and I automatically fell in love.  I loved working on behalf of underrepresented and/or injured people.  I found that public interest law could allow me to balance my need to be an advocate, while simultaneously practicing law.  Once I learned I did not have to choose between the two (nonprofit and legal sector), I was hooked.

I chose Loyola University Chicago School of Law because of its dedication to advocacy and, frankly, because every Loyola law student I met before starting law school was super cool. They are the perfect combination of hardworking, humble, and intelligent that I strive to be.

Everything else:  I am a cat mom. I love Mexican food and drink at least 2 cups of coffee a day.  After college, some of my friends moved across the country and I try to visit them as often as I can.  I love getting work done at local coffee shops and regularly try new and popular spots around the city.  I am also a big fan of live music and attending outdoor concerts (summertime in Chicago is the best). e4It should also be noted that I currently commute from the south suburbs.  While it is a bit of a hassle at times, the Metra trains are quiet and it gives me ample time to read or prepare for my classes.

My approach to life: I always try to better myself.  I approach life with a happy, optimistic and really hardworking perspective.  Since my family emigrated from a different country for a better life, I believe it is important to take chances and continuously challenge my limits. I also believe in surrounding myself with people who allow me to grow – whether it be by questioning why I believe certain things or who, by example, inspires me to do more.

Thank you for reading my (not so) little introduction and I can’t wait to share my experiences with you!

Liz Rodriguez is a 1L at Loyola University Chicago School of Law.  She is blogging about the journey of her first year of law school. To search all posts written by her search the Liz R. category on the right hand side. Questions for Liz? Email law-admissions@luc.edu with the subject “Ask Liz” and she will make sure to answer them.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Life at Loyola, Liz R., Student Life. Bookmark the permalink.