A (very belated) Farewell to 1L!

Well, it is currently the middle of August, and I meant to write this as soon as finals ended… I’ve said it so many times by now, but I truly cannot believe 1L is over and I already have my first law clerk position under my belt. A 2L told me last fall that I would be blown away by how much I learn in one year, and he was right. Looking through my outlines, I just cannot believe how much I know (and understand!). This was one of the most academically challenging, and rewarding (and honestly, really fun) years of my life.

You have a lot to look forward to as a 1L at Loyola – not only do I feel extremely proud of what I have learned, but I feel like I am a part of an academic community that is unparalleled in its faculty and staff support. Plus, I have met some seriously great people, both students and faculty, and I wonder often how I have only known them for nine months. To give you a glimpse, and hopefully quash any lingering fears of law school, I thought I would provide you with some of the highlights of my first year.

Went for my first haircut after living here for a week... was immediately handed a margarita and made a new best friend. Thanks, Strand, in Lincoln Park!

Went for my first haircut after living here for a week… was immediately handed a margarita and made a new best friend. Thanks, Strand, in Lincoln Park!

You must, must (really, must) walk along Lakeshore and take in the beautiful view that is your home for the next three years.

Don't skip orientation (I know, it’s mandatory… but still)! It seems long, but it's really fun, and where I met some of my closest friends. Plus, it was my first introduction to one of my favorite professors: Dean Kaufman! (He’s the one lecturing).

Don’t skip orientation (I know, it’s mandatory… but still)! It seems long, but it’s really fun, and where I met some of my closest friends. Plus, it was my first introduction to one of my favorite professors: Dean Kaufman! (He’s the one lecturing).

Go to Bar Review! This is a picture from my first one with Katie Burnett. Even if you don't know anyone... Loyola attracts some awesome people, and you will, without a doubt, make a bunch of friends quickly. It’s also a really nice way to get to know your classmates in a non-academic setting. And, trust me, you’ll want to relax a bit at the end of every week.

Go to Bar Review! This is a picture from my first one with Katie Burnett. Even if you don’t know anyone… Loyola attracts some awesome people, and you will, without a doubt, make a bunch of friends quickly. It’s also a really nice way to get to know your classmates in a non-academic setting. And, trust me, you’ll want to relax a bit at the end of every week.

Check out an architectural boat tour! I've gone on two tours already because I found it so interesting. It's also a great thing to do if you have visitors! The views of the city are b-e-a-u-tiful.

Check out an architectural boat tour! I’ve gone on two tours already because I found it so interesting. It’s also a great thing to do if you have visitors! The views of the city are b-e-a-u-tiful.

Take some time to check out the many events Loyola puts on. This one was put on by all of the student groups – Health Law Society, Moot Court teams, etc. Whether it’s a networking event with current attorneys or just a way to get to know your fellow students – there’s usually free food and it’s an easy way to get involved with the school and see what the upperclassmen are up to.

Boat Cruise was one of my favorite memories of 1L. Free food and drinks while you spend the evening on a boat, with your new friends, listening to great music, on Lake Michigan. The tickets are a little expensive, but I promise it's worth it.

Boat Cruise was one of my favorite memories of 1L. Free food and drinks while you spend the evening on a boat, with your new friends, listening to great music, on Lake Michigan. The tickets are a little expensive, but I promise it’s worth it.

The Signature Lounge at the top of the John Hancock Tower (conveniently located very close to school) is a nice place to go and take in the beautiful views of Chicago. PS... the best views are from the women's restroom (sounds weird, but try it first).

The Signature Lounge at the top of the John Hancock Tower (conveniently located very close to school) is a nice place to go and take in the beautiful views of Chicago. PS… the best views are from the women’s restroom (sounds weird, but try it first).

Volunteer or check out the Chicago Marathon! Plus, as was my goal when I moved here, I'll be running it this year and welcoming all the high fives along the course.

Volunteer or check out the Chicago Marathon! Plus, as was my goal when I moved here, I’ll be running it this year and welcoming all the high fives along the course.

Loyola throws a great Halloween party... and yes, we all get very into it.

Loyola throws a great Halloween party… and yes, we all get very into it.

The Chicago Public Library - always available with beautiful lighting when the law library starts to feel a little too much like home.

The Chicago Public Library – always available with beautiful lighting when the law library starts to feel a little too much like home.

The PILS Auction! Excuse to dress up and bid on awesome things like dinner with your favorite professors, tickets to shows around Chicago, etc.

You are a student again, take advantage of it! This is me with "princesa" face paint rafting down Semuc Champey in Guatemala during spring break. Don’t forget, these are likely our last spring breaks for a while!

You are a student again, take advantage of it! This is me with “princesa” face paint rafting down Semuc Champey in Guatemala during spring break. Don’t forget, these are likely our last spring breaks for a while!

Chicago is full of fun runs of all distances. The Hot Chocolate and Shamrock Shuffle were my favorites this year!

Barrister's Ball - one of the highlights of the year. SBA puts on this great event each year and it's essentially law prom, just a lot more fun and likely less awkward than during our teenage years :)

Barrister’s Ball – one of the highlights of the year. SBA puts on this great event each year and it’s essentially law prom, just a lot more fun and likely less awkward than during our teenage years 🙂

Last day at my wonderful job at Admissions! This is Nikita (the all-star you likely met when visiting for a tour) and me in front of the space I spent many, many hours this year :)

Last day at my wonderful job at Admissions! This is Nikita (the all-star you likely met when visiting for a tour) and me in front of the space I spent many, many hours this year 🙂

And somehow… that was a wrap! I am shocked 1L went by so quickly, but I am so happy I get to spend two more years here. Congratulations on beginning your legal careers, I look forward to meeting you!

Kelly

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Kelly K., Student Life. Bookmark the permalink.