Alumni Spotlight: Aaron M. Arce Stark ’13, Intellectual Property

Aaron Profile Photo

Aaron M. Arce Stark lives in Washington, D.C. and is the founder of Arce Stark Law, LLC.  His practice focuses on meeting the legal needs of “creators.”  Professional or not, famous or about-to-be, his law firm advocates on behalf of those who create.   His clients include photographers, musicians, authors, and software developers.

Aaron earned his JD from Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 2013, where he was a National Finalist for Loyola’s Uvaldo Herrera Moot Court Team.   While in law school, Aaron served as law extern in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois to the Honorable Chief Judge Ruben Castillo and Magistrate Judge Michael Mason.  He was on the Dean’s list, and a recipient of the Leadership and Service Recognition Award, and the Public Interest Recognition Award.

View his firm’s website at www.arcestarklaw.com.

Why did you choose Loyola and how has your decision helped your career?

I chose Loyola because of its reputation for shaping and training high quality litigators.  Loyola’s professors include attorneys who are well known and highly regarded in Chicago.  Its award winning national moot court, mediation, and trial advocacy teams are like none other in the country.  The school prepares students to practice law, which is invaluable in the current law job market.  In addition, because Loyola is located in the heart of Chicago, students benefit from the relationships that the school has with local organizations, law firms, and the state and federal courts.  I took full advantage of all these programs as a student.  In return, Loyola provided me with the legal foundation I needed to launch my law firm.

Why did you start your own intellectual property practice?

Starting my own practice was what I wanted to do professionally. I enjoy the one-on-one client interaction, the excitement, and the level of responsibility that comes with having your own law firm.

I decided to focus my practice in IP to serve artists and entrepreneurs.  I was formerly a photographer and entrepreneur myself, and I have an identical twin brother and older brother who are both professional photographers (starkphotography.com and christopherstarkphoto.com). For these reasons, I am acutely aware of the passion and pride that goes into creating art and running a business.

Do you have any advice for law students and graduates who are contemplating starting their own practice?

Most people don’t build their own practice because they fear learning how to practice law on their own. The following steps should help you secure the foundation and confidence you need for success:

• If you haven’t done so already, I recommend building relationships with your professors and the Loyola alumni network. Also, make a point of gaining meaningful experience while in law school through your internships. By the time I graduated law school, I had already interviewed clients, observed dozens of hearings, and had prepared and filed trademarks, with the support of my mentor. Today, my most trusted and supportive mentors have been my Loyola professors (especially those teaching IP), internship supervisors, and friends of mine who I met through alumni events. I heard Justice Sonia Sotomayor once say that practicing alone doesn’t mean you have to be alone in your practice. Consult and be advised by quality lawyers you trust.
  • Start networking with the people you want to represent. I would not have been able to hit the ground running so soon after graduation from Loyola without the benefit of having clients from the start.
  • Take advantage of pro bono opportunities – not only in the area you hope to practice, but any area of law. In D.C., I am a volunteer attorney for non-profits that serve artists, as well as non-profits that advocate for students with disabilities. Organizations offering pro bono opportunities are a great network of people and resources, and they enable you to gain experience while doing meaningful work. My pro bono network has also led to paying work. Undoubtedly, doing pro bono is an excellent investment of time.
  • Always keep in mind that building your business depends on the work you do for clients. Your best advertising is word of mouth and references.  Fancy business cards and a good looking website are helpful, but at the end of the day, you need to put yourself out there and practice law. Clients who like working with you will recognize your good work by coming back to you when a problem arises and through referrals.
  • Finally, fearing the practice of law is inevitable to some extent, but you can’t let that fear paralyze you. A little fear will make you a better and more cautious lawyer. It will make you triple check your work and question your legal strategy. But the name of this game is confidence. Pick a legal strategy, understand and explain why you picked it, and move forward. Whether you are dealing with your client or opposing counsel, confidence is essential.

These pointers should help get you where you need to be to start your own practice.  For additional information or mentorship, please feel free to contact me at aaron@arcestarklaw.com.

This entry was posted in Academic, Alumni, Intellectual Property, Life at Loyola. Bookmark the permalink.