Student Organizations: Arts and the Law Society

Coming into law school I did not really realize the variety of jobs available to attorneys. I knew about criminal law from watching television and personal injury law from the ads on the side of the road I saw while riding in the back seat of my parents’ car, however, it was not until I went to my first Arts and the Law Society meeting that I learned about the world of art law. Art law is not a large legal field, but it is a growing and fascinating practice area that combines basic principles of civil practice and contracts with the world of high society and art.

The Arts and the Law Society at Loyola brings guest speakers to the law school to inform members about different areas of art law. Some past speakers include curators from local museums, representatives of local auction houses, attorneys for private collectors, and litigators doing pro bono work for artists. This year we co-hosted a panel giving students a real life look at the work of IP and Entertainment lawyers. Along with speakers, the Arts and the Law Society plans different social outings. This year we went to see a fellow student’s band play at the Metro, hit up some art exhibits throughout the city, and co-hosted a screening of the Oscar winning documentary Inocente.

Learning about the world of art law has been a really great experience at Loyola. The people in the Arts and the Law Society are all passionate about seeing how far we can stretch the term “art” before it breaks. With the field being one that is constantly changing, we have not found a breaking point yet. The Society is always looking for new members who care about the world of art whether it be the classic paintings and sculpture to music, movies, and theater.  Moreover, we are always looking for people who want to keep pushing the boundaries of arts and the law.

Addison Kuhn, Blog Director

This entry was posted in Life at Loyola, Student Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.