Student Spotlight: Christine Dadourian, EEOC Mediation Advocacy Project

The Advanced Mediation Advocacy Practicum at Loyola provides 711-licensed student attorneys the opportunity to represent pro se clients in cases referred to the Mediation Program of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). My experience with the practicum provided me with a newfound level of confidence in my lawyering abilities, which stemmed from being able to reach a desired outcome for my client.

Working with a partner and under the supervision of a Loyola instructor, each student was responsible for actively participating in every stage of the mediation advocacy process—interviewing and counseling the pro se clients, preparing the cases for mediation, and ultimately, representing our clients in the mediation conference.

The Client Counseling & Pre-Mediation Sessions 

Two simple questions: “What brings you here today?” and “What are you hoping to accomplish?” open up a world of possible answers.  Although necessary to gather important information (such as family life, medical history, work experiences, and financial situation), your client is greater than the sum of all of these parts.  Once you really listen to and hear your client, you are better equipped to provide further legal assistance.  If you become fixated on the sea of facts and files, you might not fully realize the gravity of a person entrusting you with such serious matters that encompass his or her livelihood.

The Mediation

Although my partner and I represented our client in the setting of a conference room as opposed to a courtroom, the same extent of preparation and research was required so that we could be wholly familiar with the facts and minimize any surprises at the table.  We took a non-adversarial, yet assertive approach, given that any settlement agreement requires both parties’ signatures and expectantly contains mutually satisfactory terms.  Therefore, my partner and I strived to identify both parties’ needs and interests, explore all proposed options, and overcome any impediments to resolution.

While litigation emphasizes “living in the past” through retold stories, mediation takes a more forward-looking approach.  In the mediation, both parties seemed ready to settle the case instead of pursuing litigation because they were ready to put the past behind them and move on.

Overall Experience

The Advanced Mediation Advocacy Practicum at Loyola afforded me a certain sense of pride in knowing that I could zealously advocate for a client, who was once so enmeshed in a case, to reach a resolution.  Although we came into the course with minimal familiarity of employment law, my classmates and I were able to acquire the skills needed to be effective advocates, and provide both legal and moral support to our clients.

Learn more about Loyola Chicago’s Dispute Resolution Program and read the latest newsletter.

Christine Dadourian

C. Dadourian - picture

This entry was posted in Academic, Mediation, Student Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.