As the weather begins to get colder and snowier, MORE
- Bryan Goodwin
- No Comments
Damen Student Center Grand Opening
As many of you readers already might know, we are formally opening the doors to the Damen Student Center on April 3rd, 2013 at 9AM!! We will be opening the doors to the Damen Dining Hall on Monday, April 1st-2nd to accommodate for student meal plans, due to the fact that Rambler Room is closing its doors on Friday, March 29 to prepare for the move to Damen. Access to the rest of the Damen Student Center will be restricted on those days.
So what is happening on April 3rd for the Grand Opening?
The Grand Opening “event” will begin promptly at 9AM with an official ribbon cutting and short speeches from Father Garanzini, Dr. Robert Kelly (VP of Student Development), and Julia Poirier (current USGA President). An interesting feature of this ribbon cutting will be the inclusion of the international campuses to the festivities. We will be broadcasting to those populations via Skype and/or FaceTime. In addition to those campuses being a part of the ribbon cutting ceremony, we will have “Ipad Operators” available to take these campuses on a “rolling tour” of the facility after the doors are open.
After crowds enter the Damen Student Center from the North Entrance (CFSU side), we will gather the community in the atrium seating area where Dr. Kelly will explain what is happening during the day. The “feature” event is the DAMEN GAME, which is game intended to get students to see the facility and all of its great features. Here is a synopsis of the DAMEN GAME:
10:00AM-4:00PM: EXPLORE DAMEN
- Students will receive a Damen Game playing card and are asked to “self tour” the facility to collect 10 stamps. The 10 stamps can be found at 10 different locations throughout the facility. At each of these stops, departments/offices will feature their spaces in various ways.
- While the Damen Game is in process from 10am-4pm, there will be a variety of different activities happening throughout the day in the Damen Student Center:
- Atrium: Student Performing Acts
- Cinema: Video Contest (see additional information at www.luc.edu/damenstudentcenter)
- Ireland’s (sports lounge)
- Gaming Tournaments
- White Sox vs. Kansas City Royals (1PM)
- Billiard Tournaments
- Free Food
- Climbing Wall: Demonstrations @ 10:00am and 3:00pm
- FREE FOOD: Damen Food Court: LUNCH IS ON US!!!!!!
- Free “SAMPLES” throughout the day
12:00PM-5:00PM: SISTER JEAN DELORES SCHMIDT, BVM MULTI-PURPOSE (2ND FLOOR)
- In preparation of the Senior “HOP” Party, seniors can spend time in the Sister Jean Delores Schmidt, BVM Multi-Purpose Room making hats for the evening party. Seniors can make hats and leave them to pick up when they attend the party later. *SENIORS ONLY
4:00PM-6:00PM: SOLOMON COLDWELL BUENZ FIREPLACE LOUNGE (2ND FLOOR)
- Faculty and Staff “Wine Down” Reception: Hosted by the Maroon and Gold Society, this reception will allow faculty and staff the opportunity to “decompress” in the SCB Fireplace Lounge on the 2nd Floor of the Damen Student Center. Alcohol will be restricted to the Fireplace Lounge, and faculty and staff can also enjoy tours during the 4PM-6PM time frame.
6:00PM: DAMEN STUDENT CENTER ATRIUM AREA
- The Damen Game prize drawing will begin. Students DO NOT need to be present to win a prize, they simply need to have turned in their completed (10 stamps) playing card by 4PM to the Damen Student Center Information Desk. Prizes include: southwest gift card, big screen televisions, itunes gift cards, Loyola hooded sweatshirts, and MORE!
8:00PM-11:00PM: SCHMIDT MULTI-PURPOSE ROOM/FIREPLACE LOUNGE
- The SENIOR HOP PARTY will be hosted by the President’s Office in the Schmidt Multi-Purpose Room. This party is for SENIORS ONLY, it will include food and alcohol, and there will be a contest for “Best Hat”. This will be a TICKETED EVENT for SENIORS and students will be able to purchase these tickets at a later date from the CFSU Information Desk.