As the weather begins to get colder and snowier, MORE
- Matthew Razek
- No Comments
Arnold J. Damen Student Center05.23.12
We are very excited to share with youthat the new Student Center, opening in Spring 2013, has been named the Arnold J. Damen, S.J. Student Center.
Fr. Damen (pictured above) is the founder of Loyola University Chicago. A Dutch Jesuit from Holland, Fr. Arnold Damen was ordained to the priesthood in the United States in 1844. He was an ambitious man, and, instead of running an existing Church in the city, he wanted to found his own church with his own mission. Fr. Damen founded Holy Family Parish in 1860 near downtown Chicago. Ten years later, he founded St. Ignatius College next door. To build the college, Fr. Damen traveled to Holland and other cities to raise funds. The college was built from donations by individuals who had no affiliation to Holy Family Parish. Loyola University was chartered in 1909 and moved up north to Rogers Park and the high school (located on Roosevelt Road) was named St. Ignatius College Prep. It is fitting that Fr. Damen continue to remain a part of Loyola history with the construction of this state-of-the-art student center. The Arnold J. Damen, S.J. Student Center is a symbol of the past, present, and future of Loyola University Chicago and we look forward to its opening in less than a year! (Information for this post was taken from www.Ignatius.org.)
Also, be sure to check out the latest pictures of the Damen Student Center. You can see the exterior brick on the north side of the building going up and the start of the servery construction in the new dining facility.