Loyola dancers seek holistic summer growth

As LDT begins the school year, we look back on a summer of growth. A common misconception about dance is that it can only be refined through direct dance training (technique classes, rehearsals, performances.) But, this is not the case. Dancers can grow as artists in more ways than one. From dance classes to working summer jobs, many summer activities influenced us as artists.  Loyola values a holistic approach to dance, and thus our dancers explored their passions in various and unique ways.

For example, junior dance and marketing double major Abby Darrow spent the beginning of her summer at an internship with the Pivot Arts Festival. Instead of being in front of the stage lights, she helped with the behind-the-scenes work. This included  setting up lighting and other tech jobs, communicating between artists and directors as well as updating artists on their daily schedules.

“I Love Pivot Arts because it showcases unconventional contemporary artists who might otherwise be seen as unusual. It was really eye opening about what the world has to offer,” Darrow said.

Darrow is interested in her double major because of the many connections she finds between the two.

“Being an artist allows me to fulfill my creative urges, and my business major helps when creating a foundation in professionalism and basic technical skills everyone needs in order to become successful in the business world,” Darrow said.

Likewise, Isabelle Taylor, a Senior dance and psychology double major, also explored the connection between her majors through an internship with Loyola’s First Star Youth Mentoring Program.

According to Taylor, she served as a mentor and dance instructor for High School students. Taylor said the program’s focus was providing “stability and direction” for children who have been or are still in the child welfare system. Spending time with kids helped Taylor further conceptualize the power and importance of dance.

“This was one of the most challenging and rewarding parts of my summer,” Taylor said. “I had never taught students with zero dance inexperience before, and it was a very beautiful and insightful experience to teach body awareness. What I found so rewarding about the process was allowing the kids space to physically manifest ideas and emotions; their end product was a personally composed movement excerpt about what the program means to them. It was so outstanding to see what they took from the class, and I’m so thankful I was able to learn from them.”

A mural students created based off of the prompt “What does the First Star Youth Mentoring Program mean to you?”

Masha Bandouil, a sophomore dance and biology double major, also spent her summer working with students as a College Coach for Loyola. While working, Bandouil learned that a majority of the students she was working with did not believe they were capable of pursuing a career in the arts.

Bandouil said her summer helped her realize her passion for teaching dance during what she describes as a late-night dance lesson with some of her friends.

“I met a peer who had always been interested in dance and never found an ability to pursue it,” Bandouil said. “I took him to his first dance class and realized how much I loved telling him about the art form and helping him through his first class. After we came back from that a bunch of our other friends wanted to learn what we had learned and I found myself teaching them short combinations in the lobby of Campion. I never thought I would find myself in that position, but I did and I am so grateful for that.”

Bandouil said that while she did take a weekly class over the summer, her time spent in other areas over the summer helped her rekindle her passion for dance in new ways.

These dancers, and many others, were influenced by things outside of the walls of a studio or theatre, which showcases how a summer of developing yourself as an artist can happen in multiple ways.

One thought on “Loyola dancers seek holistic summer growth

1. Thank you for sharing. I love reading about how students are sharing their love of the arts with others.