In 1908, a group of prominent Chicago lawyers established the Lincoln College of Law, originally located in Chicago’s Loop neighborhood. That same year, Lincoln College of Law joined forces with Loyola and eventually became known as the Loyola University Chicago School of Law. After Twenty years at the Loop location, the School of Law relocated to Pearson Street which it still calls home today.
In 1969, law students created the Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, the first academic publication edited exclusively by the students. The Law Journal now serves as the law school’s primary scholarly publication which is distributed throughout the nation’s law libraries, judges’ chambers, and other various legal organizations. Published continuously since 1970, the Law Journal is committed both to the examination of current legal issues and to the development of the law. The Law Journal remains edited and managed entirely by students with the help of its faculty advisor, Professor John M. Breen. Students publish the work of distinguished writers, including academics, practitioners, and judges in print and online. The Law Journal also publishes student-written notes and comments.
More recently, the Law Journal began publishing online articles in addition to its print publications. Directly managed by the Executive Editor of Online Articles, the Law Journal is able to publish shorter pieces in a timely manner to address current legal issues.
The history recounted above was retrieved from Thomas M. Haney, First 100 Years: The Centennial History of Loyola University Chicago School of Law, The, 41 Loy. U. Chi. L.J. 651 (2010).