Bereavement notice: Richard Westley, PhD

The Loyola University Chicago community mourns the death of Richard Westley, professor emeritus in the Department of Philosophy and past member of the Institute of Pastoral Studies faculty. Dr. Westley, who joined Loyola in 1968 and retired in 2005, passed away February 9.

Friday, February 14
10 a.m. to Noon
Addolorata Villa (555 McHenry Road, Wheeling, Illinois)

Visitation and Funeral Mass
Saturday, February 15
9–11 a.m. – Visitation
11 a.m. – Funeral Mass
St. Gertrude Church (6200 N. Glenwood, Chicago)

Condolences may be sent to Dr. Westley’s family in care of the Barr Funeral Home, 6222 N. Broadway, Chicago, Illinois 60660.

Please remember this family in your prayers.

• By Richard P. Westley '76 on 2.17.2014 at 4:50 am

Many thanks to everyone in the Loyola University community who came to my father’s wake and funeral mass. My father counted his time at Loyola, and especially summers teaching at the Institute of Pastoral Studies, as his true vocation. His legacy remains alive and vibrant through the thousands of undergraduate, graduate and pastoral students he taught.

• By Donna B. Curin on 2.17.2014 at 2:22 pm

Richard – Your dad was one of my favorite professors at Loyola in the 70s, teaching Philosophy in the formal sense, and Life in the informal. I was lucky enough to share my appreciation with him by email a couple of years ago. He kindly responded and included samples of his current writings. Another pleasurable assignment for me! Saturday I was in doctoral classes which precluded me from attending his services. I think he would have given me a pass.

We’ve been blessed in knowing him. I am sorry for your family’s loss. God Bless.