- June 27, 2013
- 4:30 pm
- Steve Christensen
Change to Microsoft Outlook’s global address book
Over the next several days, we’ll be updating the global address book in Outlook to remove the middle initial field. This change should streamline address book search results and help you find people more quickly.
As part of this update, we’re also bringing in any preferred name settings that you may have established in GroupWise (identifying yourself as Tom, rather than Thomas, for example). Because of these changes, we recommend that you take a look at the updated address book and confirm that your name appears the way you want it to. See the detailed instructions below if you need to make additional changes to your preferred name settings.
Additionally, here are some useful tips when looking for e-mail addresses:
- You can make use of the “Check Names” button to search quickly. From within a new message, type in part of, or all of, the person’s last name in the To: or CC: fields and click the “Check Names” button that appears at the top of the window. If Outlook recognizes the person you’re looking for, it will insert the full address. If there’s more than one person that matches what you type, the “Check Names” dialog box will appear with a list of possibilities. Select the person you’re looking for and click “OK.”
- You can get to the full address book from within a new message by clicking the “To:” button at the left or the “Address Book” button at the top of your new message window.
- By default, Outlook is sorting addresses by first name. We are planning a change to sort by last name pending further testing on the implied side effects. In the interim, if you prefer to search by last name, click on the address book, type the person’s last name in the search bar, select the “More Columns” option, and click the “Go” button.
- Go to the Outlook Web App (OWA) at outlook.luc.edu.
- Log in using your Loyola ID and password.
- Once logged in, click the “Settings” icon (the small gear icon in the top-right corner of the screen) and choose “Options.”
- In the account settings, click “Edit Information” near the bottom.
- In the dialog box that appears, click general from the options along the left.
- In the “Display” name field, type your name as you would like it to appear in Outlook.
- Click “Save.”
- If you’re done using OWA, sign out.
Information Technology Services