Summer of experience

Tanna Solberg is spending her summer as the student station manager at Loyola’s WLUW-FM.

Harrison Hayes, a rising junior majoring in communication studies, hit the mean streets of New York City for his summer internship at Estée Lauder Companies where he specifically works for the high-end and well-known brands Jo Malone, La Mer, and Bobbi Brown cosmetics. Harrison was determined to land the internship despite early setbacks.

“I originally applied for the “official” internship that is offered through the Estée Companies, however I did not get in because there was an overwhelming number of older participants with a little more experience,” says Hayes.

Instead of giving up, Harrison refused to take no for an answer. He sought out references from employees of the Jo Malone and Le Mer brands and applied for an alternative internship with the company. The extra effort paid off and he was eventually hired. Harrison’s internship includes editing and writing newsletters and press releases, as well as managing the media for Jo Malone and La Mer, as well as assisting Bobbi Brown in executing new ventures that they plan to launch during the summer.

Harrison is most excited about all the hands-on work the internship will provide.

“All three of the companies I am interning for are individually unique and cater to three very different clientele. It was explained to me in my interview that I would not just be making coffee runs and checking e-mails; I would be very involved with their public relations team and will be asked for my opinion and help on multiple projects.”

Another communications studies major, Tanna Solberg, a rising senior at Loyola, landed a new position at Loyola’s radio station, WLUW. With the general manager out on maternity leave for the summer, WLUW entrusted Solberg to ensure that the station runs smoothly.

“My responsibilities are to oversee all the areas of the station. I schedule meetings, respond to issues that arise with DJs and the executive staff, and train new DJs on the station’s policies and equipment,” says Solberg.

Solberg intends to pursue a career in radio and working at WLUW this summer will put her one step closer to making her dream a reality.

“There are so many benefits that come with this job. The student station manager is one of the few paid positions at the station and it gives me real-life experience in the field that I want to start a career in. It is teaching me so much about what it takes to run a radio station in a large media market. I can’t really ask for a more perfect summer job.”

Stay tuned to Inside Loyola this summer as we’ll be spotlighting other students and their exciting summer internships.

Now ongo

Loyola's Graduate Teacher Preparation Program

Melissa Niksic

The 12 Days of Christmas (Loyola Style)

Melissa Niksic

Sakai Question of the Week go

How do I post grades in Sakai?

How do I post grades in Sakai?

I need to post grades in Sakai. Can you advise me on how to do that?

Scholarship Campaign go

Access to excellence

Access to excellence

Access is everything: access to knowledge, to a career, to truth, to success. For most people, access to their dreams begins with a college degree.