A running start

The work of a student-athlete doesn’t stop after their last final exam; it continues all year long, and even into the summer. While many college students are relaxing and enjoying the weather, Loyola student-athlete Breanna Walker uses the summer to enhance her performance level and stay fit for the following school year.

Walker, a rising sophomore from Manassas, Virginia, and a member of the women’s track and field team, is a star on the track. She takes the sport very seriously and her results show it. In her first season, Walker recorded the best performance time of the year for Loyola women’s track and field in the 60m, 100m, and 200m sprints and she assisted in achieving the best performance time in relay events–the sprint medley relay, the 4×100, and the 4×200. If that wasn’t enough, out of all of the NCAA Division I track athletes, Walker ranked number two in the women’s 100 sprint and number three in the women’s 200 sprint on the Horizon League Outdoor Performance List.

Walker says, “Track never ends. You have to continuously work in order to stay on top of your game.”

Each day, Walker completes an assigned summer workout that consists of a repetitive combination of lifting and sprints. On top of the rigorous workout plan, she adds her own exercise regimen, which includes a healthy diet and an adventurous workout that she doesn’t get to complete during the school year.

“I like to do a lot of outdoor stuff that I can’t do on the track. I go hiking, swimming, and climbing, as well as dance cardio and an abdominal workout, which helps a lot.”

To stay motivated all summer long, Walker invites her friends from home to workout with her. Working out with her friends simulates the sense of camaraderie and support she feels when she’s at school among her Loyola teammates.

With all the hard work she is putting in during the summer,Walker hopes to show even more progress in her upcoming sophomore year.

“I’m working really hard on my form and technique. I’m using this summer to learn about myself and what I am capable of doing so that I can apply that on the track. I want to grow and mentally prepare myself for the requirements of a Division I athlete during the summer so that I can come back even stronger than before.”

For more on women’s track and field, click here.

Now ongo

Loyola's Graduate Teacher Preparation Program

Melissa Niksic

The 12 Days of Christmas (Loyola Style)

Melissa Niksic

Sakai Question of the Week go

How do I post grades in Sakai?

How do I post grades in Sakai?

I need to post grades in Sakai. Can you advise me on how to do that?

Scholarship Campaign go

Access to excellence

Access to excellence

Access is everything: access to knowledge, to a career, to truth, to success. For most people, access to their dreams begins with a college degree.