- April 30, 2013
- 10:36 am
- Akanksha Jayanthi
This spring marks the 143rd annual Commencement at Loyola University Chicago. A total of 11 ceremonies will be held, 10 of which will be streamed online. Ceremonies will be held at Gentile Arena, Mundelein Auditorium, and the Navy Pier Grand Ballroom. Doors to ceremonies on campus open one hour prior to their start time.
More than 4,000 students will participate in commencement ceremonies this year, and about 20,000 visitors are expected to visit campus to celebrate the achievement of Loyola’s students. Additionally, six honorary degrees are being conferred, and four of the confirmed speakers are Loyola alums.
Here’s a look at the schedule for Commencement 2013. To access the University’s Commencement Flickr gallery, click here.
Thursday, May 9
- The Graduate School and Institute of Pastoral Studies: Gentile Arena, Noon, Speaker: *Debra W. Stewart, PhD, President, Council of Graduate Schools
- School of Education: Gentile Arena, 4 p.m., Speaker: Timothy D. Kanold (PhD, ‘02), Educator, Author, and Consultant
- College of Arts and Sciences Honors Convocation, Gentile Arena, 8 p.m.
Friday, May 10
- College of Arts and Sciences (ARTS): Gentile Arena, 10 a.m., Speaker: *Luis Alberto Urrea, Author and Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Baccalaureate Mass: Gentile Arena, 12:30 p.m.
- College of Arts and Sciences (SCIENCES): Gentile Arena, 3:30 p.m., Speaker: *Diann Jordan, PhD, Author and Educational Consultant; Professor of Biological Sciences, Alabama State University
- School of Communication: Gentile Arena, 7 p.m., Speaker: Claire Díaz-Ortiz, Author, Speaker, Technology and Innovator
Saturday, May 11
- Quinlan School of Business: Gentile Arena, 10 a.m., Speaker: *J.C. Gonzalez-Mendez, Senior Vice President, McDonald’s Corporation; President and CEO, Ronald McDonald House Charities
- School of Continuing and Professional Studies: Mundelein Auditorium, 1 p.m., Speaker: Alicia T. Vega (BS ‘96, MJ ‘99), Public Service Leader
- Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing: Gentile Arena, 3 p.m., Speaker: Sharon L. O’Keefe (MSN ‘76), President, University of Chicago Medical Center
- School of Social Work: Gentile Arena, 6:30 p.m., Speaker: Khadija Khaja, PhD, Associate Professor, Indiana University, School of Social Work
Saturday May 18
- Law Baccalaureate Mass: Madonna della Strada Chapel, 10:30 a.m.
- School of Law: Gentile Arena, 12:30 p.m., Speaker: *Gino L. DiVito (JD ’63), Partner, Tabet DiVito & Rothstein LLC
Sunday June 2
- Stritch School of Medicine: Navy Pier, Grand Ballroom: Noon, Speaker: *Tadataka (Tachi) Yamada, MD, Executive Vice President, Chief Medical and Scientific Officer, Takeda Pharmaceutical Corporation
*Indicates the individual will also be awarded an honorary degree.