Registration for the University Walking Challenge is now open and will remain so through Tuesday, April 24. Loyola University Chicago will compete against DePaul and Northwestern as part of the challenge, which is sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Throughout the 10-week period, from April 25–July 4, the universities will compete against each other, while also running internal university competitions (i.e. School of Business Administration vs. College of Arts and Sciences). Blue Cross Blue Shield is providing everyone access to a website that allows participants to manually record and track their steps and total miles. Each week, Human Resources will report on Loyola’s standing in the competition at LUC.edu/hr/wellness and on the Inside Loyola news site. Also, the Wellness website will feature weekly articles and resources about setting personal goals, recipes for a healthy lifestyle, how to choose the right walking shoes, and more.
How Do I Sign Up?
To start the process, visit www.walkingworks.com. On the site, click on “Sign Up” and follow the directions below.
- Select plan: Illinois, Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Select group: University Walking Challenge
- Select program: University Walking Challenge
- Select an LUC team: Choose LUC Central Administration (a catch-all for most staff members) or one of the LUC colleges/schools
- Lastly, fill out your contact information
A pedometer, used to track your steps, will be provided for each participant in the program. Pedometers will be distributed on April 25 at the following locations.
- WTC – HR Office, Lewis Towers, 8th Floor from 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- LSC – HR Office, Granada Center #270 from 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- HSC – SSOM HR Office, 4th Floor from 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
I Have My Pedometer; Now What?
Once you have picked up your pedometer, start walking! At the end of the challenge, Loyola will also award a wellness prize and well-deserved recognition to the top three individual walkers within the University.
Director of Benefits, Compensation, and HRIS