Darrell Wheeler named SSW dean

Darrell P. Wheeler, PhD, MPH, has been named the new dean of the School of Social Work.

Dear Loyola Community,

Father Garanzini and I wish to share the good news that Darrell P. Wheeler, PhD, MPH, of Hunter College School of Social Work, has been named the new dean of the School of Social Work (SSW). Dr. Wheeler succeeds Jack Wall, PhD, who returned to the faculty last year.

The President and I wish to extend our sincere appreciation to the search committee that was chaired by Dean Sam Attoh (The Graduate School) for its excellent work in identifying such qualified candidates. Members of the committee included: Maria Vidal de Haymes, Philip Hong, and James Fogerty of the SSW; Janet Sisler, Gannon Center; Anne Reilly, Provost’s Office; and Thomas Golebiewski (BA ’74, MSW ’77), SSW Alumni Board. In collaboration with Dennis Barden, a consultant with Witt/Kieffer, the group identified many qualified individuals that Dr. Wheeler emerged from.

Dr. Wheeler currently serves as the associate dean for research and community partnerships at Hunter College, which is located in New York City. His core responsibility has been to develop and advance faculty scholarship and community-engaged evaluation, practice, and programming. In his five years as the inaugural associate dean, the school realized a 45 percent increase in faculty-grant submissions and an annual increase in funding within the school. Dr. Wheeler created an environment which supports and nurtures faculty, staff, students, and community-engaged scholarship that has been instrumental in obtaining these results. In addition to his administrative roles within the school, he is a member of the doctoral faculty of Social Welfare and Public Health and is a member of the Center for Study of Gene Structure and Function within the biology department. Previously he served as assistant professor of social work at Columbia University in New York City and the University of North Carolina-Greensboro.

Dr. Wheeler is very interested in advancing cross-disciplinary scholarship and advancing ethical and socially responsible practice. At Loyola, he hopes to support the University’s and SSW’s commitment to social justice, ethical behavior, and ameliorating root causes of inequity. We believe he has a well rounded and rich understanding of academic, community, and institutional practices that facilitate individual faculty and organizational growth and that his strength and vision will advance the school in the Jesuit tradition.

Dr. Wheeler earned both his PhD in social work and an MPH at the University of Pittsburgh. His MSW was completed at Howard University and his BA in sociology is from Cornell College. Dr. Wheeler is a native of Chicago, Illinois and he will officially start on August 15.

Please join me in welcoming Darrell Wheeler to his new leadership role at Loyola University Chicago.

Sincerely,

John Pelissero, PhD
Provost

• By Kevin Killion (A&S, '71) on 5.17.2011 at 10:01 am

It will be most instructive to see what Dean Wheeler suggests for “ameliorating root causes of inequity”.

• By Inside Loyola- New deans appointed on 5.31.2011 at 10:22 am

[…] of Social Work (SSW). Dr. Wheeler succeeds Jack Wall, PhD, who returned to the faculty last year. Click here to read about Dr. Wheeler’s […]

• By Pamela Jeanne Bates on 6.3.2011 at 6:44 am

Dearest Dr. Wheeler,
    Amazing Grace! So it seems that you have been used to make some amazing educational connections. Welcome to CHICago.It is our home of others intellectuals and great spritual people. I am sure you will find us delightful and studious as well.

LOVE,
    Pamela Jeanne
    Alumi 2002

• By Pier Rogers on 8.1.2011 at 3:37 pm

Dear Dr. Wheeler!

Just received this news from Sandy Bernabei. Congratulations! I didn’t realize you were originally from Chicago! Welcome back! Your new President – Father Garanzini – was on a panel at my Center’s conference just a few months ago! The world is just so small – it continues to amaze me.

I’m sure you’ll do great things at Loyola! I look forward to seeing you once you’ve gotten settled.

Regards,

Pier C. Rogers, PhD, Director
    The Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management
    North Park University

• By Willie Wise on 3.30.2012 at 5:31 am

Congratulations Dr. Wheeler.

I am very proud of your extensive academic and research contributions in the field of social work. You make us fellow alumni at Pitt extremely proud. I wish you continued success and may God bless you richly. I look forward to talking to you soon.

Willie Wise (MSW ’87)

Now ongo

Loyola's Graduate Teacher Preparation Program

Melissa Niksic

The 12 Days of Christmas (Loyola Style)

Melissa Niksic

Sakai Question of the Week go

How do I post grades in Sakai?

How do I post grades in Sakai?

I need to post grades in Sakai. Can you advise me on how to do that?

Scholarship Campaign go

Access to excellence

Access to excellence

Access is everything: access to knowledge, to a career, to truth, to success. For most people, access to their dreams begins with a college degree.