Quinlan Ramble Reflection – Julie Criswell

Then versus Now
A key component of Jesuit education involves engaging the “whole person” through experiential learning, which I have done through the Quinlan School’s annual Ramble program. Every spring break, a small group of Quinlan students from all business majors and years go to a different part of the country to experience how real businesses work and what the city has to offer. The sightseeing is good, the new friends are better, and the lifelong lessons are paramount. For me, the Quinlan Ramble program has engaged me in what Jesuit education represents— it transforms my perception of certain careers and industries, challenges me to continue asking questions, and probes me to reflect on what kind of businesses I want to be a part of and what life I want to live.

When I participated in this program two years ago, I was one of two freshmen among business-savvy upperclassmen in this Ramble program. All this “business talk” was overwhelming to say the least because I only had one full semester under my belt with a declared major in a subject I hadn’t even taken a course in yet. I may or may not have been that little freshman attending her first-ever networking event on the trip. Or better yet, the shy one who used a torn spiral notebook to write notes on instead of a sleek pad folio like her counterparts in front of Costco’s CFO (Hand to forehead). If it wasn’t for the Ramble to Seattle Program, though, I would not be able to say that I downed as much information as I did Starbucks coffee (to the point where I was profusely shaking), toured some of the most innovative companies in the entire world, and spent the entire week surrounded by upperclassmen to guide me through this business talk. I came out of the program with a better idea of what I wanted to do, what I needed to focus on to get me where I wanted to be, and see how different majors translate into different job roles across different companies.

I was already fortunate enough to participate in the Ramble to Seattle when I was a freshman, but the unimaginable happened when I was given the opportunity to participate in this year’s Ramble to California as a student coordinator! This was an incredible experience because I am both passionate about San Francisco, being raised not too far from there, and knowing the corporate offices we would be visiting. One changed major, two full years of undergraduate courses, and one added major equate to my personal transformation. This year, I felt more engaged with the companies, made more comparisons between corporate culture (and finally understood the value of knowing it), and formed many connections I see a business future with. As an outcome of my second experience, I feel more focused on bridging the gaps between what I learned about, working with sustainable business practices in mind, knowing the utmost importance of passion projects and corporate culture, and finding what internships and/or jobs I want upon my return to California.

For me, this trip was especially meaningful because it bridged my life at Loyola University Chicago to the memories I had growing up close to San Francisco. It was not until this trip where I could begin a Tuesday breakfast meet-up with my parents, followed by a full-packed day at two incredibly innovative companies, Adobe and Just Business, with my peers. I always drove by these large buildings without a clue of what possibilities existed within those walls; this opportunity connected my life at Loyola University Chicago to my roots back home.

Conclusion
The common denominator between my Ramble experiences in both Seattle and San Francisco are that I soaked up more about different companies and industries than the Seattle rain and El Niño downpours combined. However, the one big difference between my time in Seattle as a freshman and my time as a student leader in San Francisco lies in the transformation of my Jesuit college education beyond the classroom. I want to take this opportunity to thank the coordinators, Loyola supporters, and the Quinlan School of Business for showcasing the importance of Jesuit education through this Ramble Program.

Julie Criswell
Quinlan Class of 2017
Finance

Add a Comment

(required)

(will not be displayed) (required)