Women Leaders in Supply Chain

I have been asked by one of my Advisory Board members to assemble a group to discuss women leaders in the supply chain profession. I gladly am in the process of doing this task.

The fact that this discussion will happen is a breakthrough on its own and would never have been thought possible in the past. This is a great indication of the shift that is happening to better the balance of more women in the workforce, and in the supply chain industry.

I have seen during the years of my career, women driving material handling equipment in a distribution center, women driving for trucking companies, women who are Vice Presidents of Supply Chain and COOs as well. I believe that there is a lot of momentum for women to take on more leadership positions in the supply chain arena. Their leadership skills are as good as any man and depending on the situation, could be better.

We business leaders talk about diversity within corporations, with globalization and the need for dealing with people from different backgrounds to improve our business communication and processes. Diversity does not just mean hiring people from different countries, but also creating a balance between men and women.

I still feel that there is somewhat of a glass ceiling in compensation for women but that too is changing. It is due to the nature of our history that we didn’t see enough women in the workforce, not for any reason other than social ones, and they are catching up. There are some excellent women leaders who I have the pleasure of knowing who are or were in supply chain leadership positions for companies like Kraft Foods, Morton Salt, Fellowes, Yaskawa, DSC Logistics, Lawson Products, McCain Foods and Sara Lee just to name a few. I have found it an honor and privilege to be able to collaborate with them with a focus on making the profession of supply chain management a better place to be for everyone.

• By Danielle on 6.12.2014 at 10:14 am

While I can’t speak to the supply chain profession specifically, I have been thinking of women in the workplace a lot lately. I started a new internship this summer and was surprised to see that the highest position in the office was filled by a woman. I thought that was pretty cool, and also a little sad that I was surprised to see a woman in so high a position. I think you’re definitely correct in that there is still a glass ceiling for women, but when females who are just entering the work force (like myself) see positive roll models like my supervisor, it does wonders for changing the status quo.

• By Eric on 6.13.2014 at 11:32 am

All excellent points. I agree completely that there is still a “glass ceiling,” in many women’s career paths, but indeed major strides toward equality have already been made. I think that the fact that your discussion will take place speaks volumes for the strides made, and it’s comforting to know that more and more discussions, speeches, and demonstrations happen every year to one day soon give this country the final push it needs towards true equality in the work place for men and women alike.

Add a Comment

(required)

(will not be displayed) (required)