Emerging Markets, the Quinlan School, its IMBA, Jesuit Education and You

The title of this blog is rather ungainly. If you’re busy, bored or can’t wait for the punch line, just note that emerging markets remain very promising; related to this promise, the IMBA program is unique, literally has a world of potential, perhaps only could be orchestrated well by the Quinlan School of Business, its network and its faculty, embodies the essence of Jesuit education in many ways, and may possibly place you (Quinlan students, faculty, staff and alumni) on the frontline of a brave new world of global teaching, learning, transformative experiences, and employment. After years of work/research/teaching in emerging markets, including a stint with our brand new Intercontinental MBA program (aka, the IMBA) — I am teaching a modified version of my MARK 561 course, “Comparative Consumer Behavior in Emerging Southeast Asia” — I’d like to share some brief reflections on themes subsumed in the title and the punchline, with implications as we move forward.

Regular readers of Quinlan blogs likely have seen entries by my colleague, Professor Mary Ann McGrath, who currently serves as Director of the IMBA, and who kindly invited me to teach in the program. Dr. McGrath has shared a few interesting perspectives on the places visited by our “Pioneer IMBAs”. This intrepid group has enthusiastically taken on much of the world – e.g., Africa, South America and now Asia — in search of edification, transformation, and differential advantages in an increasingly competitive and global job-market comprised of a growing number of organizations that expect graduates to understand — and ideally to have meaningful experiences in — emerging markets.

Toward the aforementioned hopeful outcomes, a substantial component of MARK 561 includes site-study in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. This field work builds on readings, lectures, country/market/consumer analyses, online-discussions and applied-projects, typically completed before arrival in the first country visited, Vietnam. Once ensconced in Southeast Asia, students are immersed in cultural and historical sites, marketing, manufacturing and consumption venues, and lectures/discussions in the classroom and in the field; they learn from an extraordinary cast of leading experts, including academics, government leaders, managers and executives of state-owned and private businesses, consultants, marketing researchers, directors of NGOs, tour guides and others. Students literally eat, sleep, drink, walk, climb, breathe, think, swim and even spelunk marketing and consumer phenomena in three distinctly different countries that markedly vary geographically, politically, culturally, economically, administratively, and in their marketing and consumer patterns and preferences.

The Jesuit learning model favors such immersion and experiential learning, which enables students to make discoveries about places, events, policies, practices, professionalism, opportunities, challenges, responsibility, service, others, and self. In MARK 561– and I presume in the other courses required to earn the Quinlan IMBA — students engage, experience, learn, discern and reflect; they are required to keep journals, to reassess their initial assumptions articulated in projects, to integrate practical ideas learned while in-country, to be better problem-solvers based on a tool-kit that emerges from the knowledge acquired and experiences lived. Evenings often include discussions about days’ events, comparisons of people and places, potential best-practices, and personal epiphanies. Students inevitably are transformed by myriad experiences encountered on their odyssey through emerging Southeast Asia and likely the other countries, too. Come graduation day, they should be well prepared and positioned to go forth and to set the world on fire, as urged by St. Ignatius Loyola.

We professors tend to reflect on (obsess over?) teaching processes and learning outcomes of each course taught, as well as our own epiphanies resulting from interactions with individual students and the exceptional dynamics of each class. As part of this process, I very briefly share here some “take-aways” from working with our IMBA students, while teaching MARK 561: emerging Southeast Asia remains one of the most beguiling and compelling regions of the world; there are some bright and talented people that were and will be attracted to this region, other emerging regions and accordingly the IMBA program; future enrollees are sprinkled all over the world; this student-market is potentially enormous; the program seems to be truly unique and valuable; if it leverages distinctive skill-sets and expertise of Quinlan faculty and the assets of our global Jesuit network, that uniqueness and value can be sustained; this program and other initiatives in emerging markets have the potential to add further distinction to Loyola University Chicago and its Quinlan School of Business, as students will be truly prepared to lead extraordinary lives, and to make important contributions to the good people of emerging markets and the global community.

• By Brendan on 4.25.2014 at 2:44 pm

Excellent post! As someone who went with Professor Shultz to Southeast Asia, I can attest that the experience was truly transformative. I can only imagine what sort of impact an entire year of international business immersion might have. I am excited to hear more from our Intercontinental MBA graduates soon and wish them all the best.

• By Kara on 4.25.2014 at 2:56 pm

Agreed. The Southeast Asia experience was one that only Quinlan could have curated. It solidified my belief in the Jesuit model of higher education and helped me build a network of peers, who now work all around the globe.

• By Danielle on 4.25.2014 at 3:14 pm

I know several Quinlan students who have traveled with the IMBA program or have gone on the Southeast Asia trip, and all of them have said what a great experience it was and how it completely changed the way they look at the world. I hope to see it for myself one day!

• By Ryan on 4.30.2014 at 12:51 pm

Great insight! Experential learning is a valuable opportunity to immerse yourself into the culture, vibrancy, and unique history of these Southeast Asian countries. Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand offer the chance to experience the similarities and differences of culture, politics, economy, and geography – all in close proximity. I believe that a valuable “take away” that cannot be easily assessed is the long-term impact of an immersion experience – it is a transformative process that can be applied to countless other geographic regions, case studies, or business opportunities. Cultural immersions are ambiguous and dynamic – providing an opportunity to observe, experience, question, appreciate, understand, and grow – without requiring a rigid lesson plan or exams!

• By LArose on 7.9.2014 at 9:21 am

i think, for me, that faith does disappear in the face of fear. fear pealryzas me physically and emotionally. it steals my breath. however, it has somehow always been the case that eventually faith returns and fear subsides. what i don’t know is . . . does faith return and drive fear away? or does fear let up and allow faith to return.

• By Tatiana on 7.21.2014 at 7:13 pm

I wish to express my aptoceiapirn to this writer for bailing me out of such a setting. Just after browsing throughout the online world and getting concepts that were not productive, I figured my entire life was done. Being alive minus the solutions to the issues you have solved by means of your entire guideline is a critical case, and those which may have in a wrong way damaged my entire career if I hadn’t come across your website. Your main mastery and kindness in maneuvering all the details was vital. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not come across such a stuff like this. I am able to at this time look forward to my future. Thanks for your time so much for your specialized and sensible help. I won’t hesitate to endorse your web site to any person who would like direction on this issue.

Add a Comment

(required)

(will not be displayed) (required)