The Value of the MBA

It is the time of year when many of us turn inward to self-assess.  Perhaps the motivation is a new-year’s resolution, the  annual employment evaluation process,  or simply too many days of slogging through ankle-deep slush on grey winter days.  The conclusion is inevitable:  something has got to change.  But what?  And how?

The controllable currency to success is education.  Many look toward the MBA degree.  It is no secret that the pursuit of the MBA degree involves substantial amounts of time, energy and money.   What result can the diligent student expect at the end of this challenging journey?

A recent series of interviews with marketing experts (who are also MBA graduates) from Software Advice revealed that the MBA degree remains a strong career stepping stone.  Click here for details.  The degree can accelerate a career-rise in young professionals and even boost their earning by $25,000 to $100,000 per year.  An MBA is also an effective mechanism for shifting industries and careers.  Having and enhancing an expertise increases the probability of long term success, so using the MBA to build on your interests and passions is always a good start.

To earn an MBA degree the student is exposed to a broad range of disciplines and problems.  Learning and application includes business strategy, critical thinking, team building, change management, and combining leadership with astute listening.  I credit my own MBA training with enhancing my earlier analytical thinking with softer skills that help in the management and interactions with team members.  Others find that MBA education elevates their ability to structure, quantify and analyze problems.  In either case, the broad-based MBA curriculum both transforms and elevates the graduate in the business arena.

Of utmost importance to MBAs is to continue to be life-long learners.  My own field of Marketing has changed substantially over the course of my career.  Digital marketing and social media have both enlarged and fragmented markets.   More than a few brands strive to be global.  As I continue to read and learn and keep current, my experiences of living abroad, traveling and interacting with students from varied backgrounds also contribute to my expanded knowledge and expertise.  I now travel the globe with our talented and curious Intercontinental MBA students and experience emerging markets with them.  This is a genuine dream job, but I cannot forget that the genesis of this was my own decision to pursue the MBA degree many years ago.

Mary Ann

Add a Comment

(required)

(will not be displayed) (required)